• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1400@[email protected] Dare I go higher?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pitspawn

Running at 1400@1580 rock stable. After getting to 1600 on 1.9v, my system flops.

Is it safe to use 2.0 or even 2.1v to get higher?

ATM temps are listed below.

Oh yeah, what voltage do all of you >1.6Ghz using SK6 use?

yeah im pretty sure you can go higher as long as your temps stay low. Those temps seem fairly resonable so go for it and check your temps. If its too high then you need better cooling or just clock it back down.

Hmm, cant get any higher.

Chip limit. DARN IT

1590...Slightly unstable
1600...Windows works crashes after heavy burn tests.
1630...Absolute limit. Anything higher even at 2.2v and windows gets funky.

Tried 1.9v, 2.0v, 2.1v and 2.2v once.

Gonna play it safe and stay at 1580Mhz (10x158) @ 8862222

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW going off question, what do each of the timings do?

Talking about PH, Idle, TRAS, CAS, RAS, etc (In order preferably)

And whats the safest to run them at on Crucial ram?

Actually, Im completely satisfied with my CPU speed. As far as technology goes, its the one thing my computer really excels on.

The thing that gets me most is my GF3. GF3's mainly only start to rip out some good framerates when heavily overclock. My GF3 is really sh*t at overclocking. When I bought it, I didnt do my usual research. I wish I had, I would not have bought a Hercules card. Not only do I think I have 4.0ns ram, but I might even have an A3 core.

Expected overclock of most ppl's Leadtek/Visiontek GF3... 250/545
My overclock (100% stable) ... 215/505

Im sorry but that is just weak for a GF3. At higher clock speeds, I get artifacting and lockups. Because I cant get a replacement card on the grounds for no good reason, I might mod the card. After modding it will go a little faster and it should sell better when I try to sell it.

Pitspawn said:
BTW going off question, what do each of the timings do?

Talking about PH, Idle, TRAS, CAS, RAS, etc (In order preferably)

And whats the safest to run them at on Crucial ram?
PH and Idle should both be 8, everything else should be as low as you can get it and still be stable.

ERM nope!
8862222 is the lowest I can go.

Sorry about this thread turning more into a general hardware than cpu.

There must be a fair bit of variation with these chips.
My AHYJA-Y is at 1606 now and seems rock solid at the standard 1.75V.
My load temps are running 46-48 with a 20C ambient, but I only use a slow 5000rpm fan. If I could put up with a noisy fan I'm sure it would go much higher.
I actually got to 1600 by mistake I meant to use 10x146 and punched in 11 instead. Worked so I've left it there.

Just a suggestion...

If you're willing to tolerate a lower FSB speed, you might be able to break 1.6. I've had good luck with an 11.5 x 140 for a completely stable 1.61 Ghz. I'm using a voltage of 1.85 (+.1, actually 1.89 using a Shuttle mobo)....Might be woth a shot...

I ve got my 1.4 to reach to 1.6 NP/
I set the multiplier to 12 and FSB to 133
This combination is rock solid for me ,
I also got temps down in the mid 30's C and case temp to 22 C!
U might wanna try uping ur Vcore to 1.85!
Im sure u can go higher if ur not limited by ur PCI slots like me!!!
I heard pll got the 1.4 to 2 Ghz, all u need is adequet cooling.

BTW(I would't try going over 1.75 w/ air cooling)

Yes I can get a much higher overclock with a lower fsb. I think I remember getting to 1650Mhz stable in windows, but I was running at like an 11.5 multiplier! Not worth IMO. Performance is everything, processor clock means nothing when your talking a few mhz.

Anyway, im still experimenting with my settings. I used to run at EXTREME FSB's (>168) stable. Only thing is that my games crash quicker.

I play quite a few games. No matter what setting I put my computer at, games still crash. Here are the problems I get...

Tribes2 (UE Errors happens rarely, maybe after 2hours of gaming)
Red Faction (Crash to Desktop, can be instant can take hours)

Thats it. Those two games crash at higher FSBs. What I cant understand is that all my benchies work fine. I can run a CPU burn test for hours at 168fsb with no errors.

At less aggressive settings the games last longer. I dont believe that my settings are causing the crashing. What can I do to fix the crashes? All my other games and benchies are fine at 168fsb

Pitspawn said:
Yes I can get a much higher overclock with a lower fsb. I think I remember getting to 1650Mhz stable in windows, but I was running at like an 11.5 multiplier! Not worth IMO. Performance is everything, processor clock means nothing when your talking a few mhz.

Anyway, im still experimenting with my settings. I used to run at EXTREME FSB's (>168) stable. Only thing is that my games crash quicker.

I play quite a few games. No matter what setting I put my computer at, games still crash. Here are the problems I get...

Tribes2 (UE Errors happens rarely, maybe after 2hours of gaming)
Red Faction (Crash to Desktop, can be instant can take hours)

Thats it. Those two games crash at higher FSBs. What I cant understand is that all my benchies work fine. I can run a CPU burn test for hours at 168fsb with no errors.

At less aggressive settings the games last longer. I dont believe that my settings are causing the crashing. What can I do to fix the crashes? All my other games and benchies are fine at 168fsb

Well, Volition Inc. games are known to crash alot. I have the exact same problem with their game Summoner. Allso, you're graphics card may be you're problem. If you run a CPU bench, everything might seem fine... but there might be a bit to much stress because of the high FSB on you're graphics card. Have you tried to increase you're VIO, and see if you're problem persists?

Actually, I think I've finally solved my game instability. Memory Timings was the cause. No matter what FSB I ran at, the memory timings were far too low. I've kept them at low timings, but raised a few of the really excessive ones.

Before 150 @ 8862222 unstable
Now 158 @ 8882822 rock-stable

I tried 168FSB but northbridge overheats quickly and computer will not reboot.

Thinking about putting an orange orb w/ AS2 onto the northbridge. Maybe I'll get to 168FSB then. My memory scores are much better now.

Pitspawn said:
Actually, I think I've finally solved my game instability. Memory Timings was the cause. No matter what FSB I ran at, the memory timings were far too low. I've kept them at low timings, but raised a few of the really excessive ones.

Before 150 @ 8862222 unstable
Now 158 @ 8882822 rock-stable

I tried 168FSB but northbridge overheats quickly and computer will not reboot.

Thinking about putting an orange orb w/ AS2 onto the northbridge. Maybe I'll get to 168FSB then. My memory scores are much better now.

what are those numbers? 8862222?? Is it memory settings? I haven't seen any way to adjust memory with numbers...

I think its your motherboard stopping you changing them. The Epox 8K7A is very much considered an overclocking board. My friend has an Asus A7M, it is very limited.

I dont know if you can change the settings. You should look around for the settings in bios. You might be able to change them, but I'd back up registry incase something goes wrong. Trust me theres nothing worse than having to reinstall the whole of windows because of a bad overclock.

Back