• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unknown CPU problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enricong

Registered
I just got an Athlon XP CPU and put it on a MSI K7N2 - Delta 2 (6570E) motherboard.

When it boots, it says "Unkown CPU" and says it is 800 Mhz when it should say "Athlon XP" and 1667Mhz

When I use AMDCPUID it also says unknown CPU type.
I'm not sure what the problem is.
Windows seems to work fine though

Is it an AthlonXP-M by any chance? What numbers are on the sticker on the CPU?

Mobile CPUs will POST at the lowest multiplier they have, you would need to use multiplier control in the BIOS to increase it to the correct value for the CPU.

yes i just checked
its AXMD2000......

I ordered a regular one though, Im not sure what the difference is between the mobile and not mobile.

should i call up the store and complain?

enricong said:
yes i just checked
its AXMD2000......

I ordered a regular one though, Im not sure what the difference is between the mobile and not mobile.

should i call up the store and complain?

AXMD = Athlon Mobile as far as I am aware. I would suggest phoning them and explaining you have been sent the wrong CPU.

Do you know the difference between a mobile core and a regular one?
Is it better? worse?

enricong said:
Do you know the difference between a mobile core and a regular one?
Is it better? worse?

A mobile is unlocked downwards, meaning you can reduce the multiplier on the chip when you want to lower the speed, and save power. Intended for laptops.

are there any other differences?
like with cache size or the instruction set?

Is the power usage and multpliers the only difference?
I assume there is more of a difference, otherwise, why not make all cpus use less power

enricong said:
are there any other differences?
like with cache size or the instruction set?

Is the power usage and multpliers the only difference?
I assume there is more of a difference, otherwise, why not make all cpus use less power

The only difference is the PowerNow! technology that I explained. It's reserved for mobile CPUs as desktop ones don't really need it.

same problem here. have a xp2000+. bought it in 2002 when the 2100 was teh top cpu for amd. definately not a mobile cpu, but yet mine does this also. all started after i did updates for xp and a powernow driver got installed. thats as far as i can remember what could had happened. even reformatted teh c drive and it still did it. runs fine though.

That is probably a low voltage desktop chip. Those have powernow! enabled and act like any mobile CPU, except the stock voltage and FSB settings.
Most motherboards don't recognize the CPU, and thus they report them as unknown, I wouldn't worry about it. Just go to the BIOS set the the multi to 12.5 and FSB to 133 for stock settings.

The Coolest said:
That is probably a low voltage desktop chip. Those have powernow! enabled and act like any mobile CPU, except the stock voltage and FSB settings.
Most motherboards don't recognize the CPU, and thus they report them as unknown, I wouldn't worry about it. Just go to the BIOS set the the multi to 12.5 and FSB to 133 for stock settings.

wish i could. cant adjust the multiplier on this fic board.

All or at least most sub XP2200+ CPUs in 2002 were palominos, and palominos come locked from the factory.
Try updating the BIOS to the latest one, maybe it'll recognize the CPU then.

Back