• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V Deluxe – Which Promise controller is on-board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's a FastTrak TX4000

I had the same question for a while. I knew that it was a FastTrak from the Promise BIOS, the boot up screen when it's searching for hard drives, and even from the Device Manager in Windows. But I didn't know which model. . .

Then recently I noticed that when I installed the Promise Management Utility that comes with the ASUS CD, if I select "custom" then the installer gives me the option to install for only one hardware type: Promise FastTrak TX4000. So I went on the Promise website and I downloaded the most recent driver and utility for the FastTrak TX4000 and it worked fine. . .

I hope this helps. :)

I tried both the TX4000 and the TX2plus(which says tx2plus/tx4000, both say that), and they both give me the Blue screen of death as windows is loading and I have to choose last settings that worked to get back into windows. Any ideas?

Thanks for your input.
I have the controller set to IDE mode and not RAID, not sure if that makes any difference to what is displayed on BOOT! If I hit F8 to select a boot device, one of the options is to choose 378TX2plus.
From that I’ve deduced that I have a SATA378 TX2plus and that it’s the SATA I version; there is also a SATA II version with a very similar name.

I have the latest drives from Asus, because I couldn’t get the Promise ones to load, so maybe I don’t have the right model after all! The driver name is ulasata.sys.

I use the latest from the Asus site, but was looking for some WHQL ones. Other than that they work fine. Ill just use these cause I get blue screen otherwise.

Welcome to the forums Micros!
Hope your id isn't a short form for Microsoft, or i'll have to beat you up :D

Folks,

Please use the drivers from ASUS's download page. Nothing is wrong with the drivers supplied with the CD. I was using them all along.

The driver is called 378ata_100104528.zip. Ihave dwonloaded it for you guys. Iy you can't find it tell me and I'll e-mail it to you. (938kb).

What other problems are you having with the Promise controller?

I mentioned this in my guide:

16.VIA SATA/RAID Controller problems:
A lot of people have been having problems OC'n with their HDD on the VIA controller. Some people report extreme fragmentation and an eventual no-boot. The PROMISE controller is better and more stable. Certainly no problem OC'ing. See for example THIS for problems our members faced with the VIA controller.
Using the PROMISE SATA controller or switching from VIA to PROMISE:
Important Note!
I have had questions about swapping controlers when the OS is on an IDE HDD and I answer them here. Suppose your boot drive is the IDE. Nothing needs to be done. No swapping is possible or necessary between the Red Port and the Blue/Black ones. The Red port is your RAID port and you will keep getting errors if you swap from the Black--> Red ports. Errors will go away only if you set up RAID.

To double check, goto the BIOS and do this:
1. BOOT > HDD (or something similar) and move your IDE to the top of the list.
2. BOOT > BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY and your selected IDE should show up as a boot device. Bump it up to the top of the list.

You are done!

When your OS resides on the SATA being switched:
A lot of people have questions on how to activate the PROMISE SATA controller or switch over from the VIA SATA controller without reformatting their HDD. This is how it's done: (You need to have your XP install CD)
  1. Copy the PROMISE SATA drivers to a floppy.
  2. Turn off your computer and switch your HDD to the PROMISE controller
  3. Turn on goto the BIOS ; Advanced > OnBoard Devices Configuration > Onboard Promise Controller [Enabled] > Operating Mode [IDE]
  4. In the BIOSchange Boot priority to CD and exit BIOS
  5. Pop in your XP CD and press F6 (look carefully for the message at the bottom of the screen)
  6. Pop in your Floppy and let XP copy the PROMISE Drivers.
  7. Exit install when asked for.
  8. We are done!
[*] If the above method doesn't work, follow the same steps only let XP repair the existing installation. You should not lose any data.

When your OS does not reside on the SATA being switched:
Follow the same procedure as above i.e load the SATA drivers but exit the XP installation when the drivers are loaded.​

You could use the part where I speak of how to set the correct HDD priority and enable onboard IDE mode.

Guten Tag!

:sn:

S-N

Back