• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hd and swap file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brian19876

Registered
does anyone have any idea what to do with the windows swap file ive read read lost of web pages on tweaking it like moving it to another hd spliting it between 2 hd limiting its size i just want to know what works best or should i just leave it at windows manage.

my windows drive is a raid 0 sata 2x 120gigand i have a 200g data drive

Last edited:
There have been numerous threads in this section about maximizing swap file performance & just as many ideas on how to do it. I routinely suggest THIS OPTION as it is what I prefer to use.

A little heads up on this if you are using XP.I have allways used two page files.With pre XP OS's it was possible to set both files to a static size,but XP will not let you do this if one resides on the C: partition.You can set the size on C: as static and it will create the pagefile of that size but after a reboot you must re enter and set the C: partition to Windows managed.This way it will keep the same size you chose (as long as you chose a size large enough that it will not need to resize itself) and will boot with both pages intact.If this is not done it will at random create only one of the two pages at times causing out of ram errors with some older programs that need a second scratch disk.

Back