• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theoilman

If I just bought waterblock and pump and used a 20 gallon fishtank as the reservoir would i need to use a radiator as well?

Yes the tank you have is not big enough. To do what your thinking you would need something in the area of a pool to get it to work.

if you wanted theres a work log with copper pipes running into the back yard of a persons house....

but the pool idea would be cool. just have your pump, pump in water from the pool and then return it back into the pool. and you'll have a mini heater, and a cool/quiet computer. lol.

yeah the pump would probably be louder than any computer, even if it were outside :p

theoilman said:
If I just bought waterblock and pump and used a 20 gallon fishtank as the reservoir would i need to use a radiator as well?

Just thinking out loud, but if you blew a fan across the surface of the tank, it would seem as long as you had the return water and feed set up to circulate the water for you, I think it would work great!

Slammin said:
Just thinking out loud, but if you blew a fan across the surface of the tank, it would seem as long as you had the return water and feed set up to circulate the water for you, I think it would work great!

I'm not sure about great however I think that would work assuming you don't mind the humidity that adds (the water will evaporate) and can keep adding distilled/antifreeze water.

I found with my 3 Litre Res i dont realy need a fan on my heater core
thats not even one gallon temps dont cange with the 120mm Fan
on 12v, 7v or 5v and turned off
Borgy's W/C PC
Im sure iv read that if you had 5 gallons of coolant you wouldn't need a heater core/ rad
it would be like trying to boil a lake with a house hold electric kettle
just not enough watts

Borgy

looks good borgy, I think I'm going to get 2 tanks and connect them together one over another connected by an aquarium pump, ill put the hot water in the top and take cold water out of the bottom and pump them in a circuit like that, if my temps get too hot i think ill make some of those copper pipe coolers and use a fan to cool those off, if i decide to go through with this it will be my first watercooling, does anybody have any tips i should know about or is it pretty easy? Also should i pump water towards the CPU or pull away from it?

Back