• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd 64 3800+ Cpu, 512k L2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erikiiy

This is my first post, so hello all.

AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3800+ CPU, 512K L2

Is this a good CPU to get? to OC?

Processor Athlon 64 3800+
Clock Speed 2.40Ghz
FSB On Chip
Core Newcastle
Process 0.13 Micron
L1 Cache 64K+64K
L2 Cache 512K
Other Technologies MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!+
Socket 939

I saw this CPU for $249 new shipped.
So I am wondering if its a good deal or not?

I am thinking about jumping to a AMD this time, I have a P4 3.2 OC to 3.8 on air, it's decent but not quite quick enough.....So I wanted to try an AMD, basically I have around $700 to spend on CPU, RAMS, PSU, and case. I have the rest of the stuff that I can yank off of the P4.

I have some corsair xms 3200 1gig, i think its 2.2.2.5.

Will these work with this cpu and will it OC decent?

Last edited:
I'd probably not go with the 3800+. The 3700+ can OC to the same speeds as the 3800+, both gets around 2.7ghz max on air. But the 3700+ is a San Diego, so it has more cache then the 3800+, which would yield better performance. But then, if your only looking to hit a high speed, then go for the 3000+. The 3000+ can also OC to 2.7ghz on air, and it's about $100 cheaper then the 3800+.

I'd recommend this for $700:

EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra $103.00
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core $359.00
Forton AX500-A $91.00
Antec Super LANBoy $63.80

Total: $616

You can get a even cheaper case if your not too worried about how it looks. The cheapest cases can go for around $20. The Forton PSU is also a great PSU to OC, can be very stable.

I picked the dual core because it's a great core. It's great for multitasking and all that stuff, most people can get to around 2.7ghz or so on air cooling.

Just get all that stuff for now, try using your current XMS ram and see how far you get.

Darksparkz is just like the rest of us. He loves to spend other peoples money. :)
With the system he has picked out (which is a nice one) you will need a pci-e video card which I am assuming you don't have. You could save some money by just getting a Venice 3000. Also, I have a link to get the Fortron for $80. With these savings you could afford a pci-e video card. Good luck.
Links
Venice 3000-http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-3000BW
Fortron-http://www.actbuy.com/details.asp?item=FS17500%2D2%2E0

Hmm....so if I want to cheap and speed, I should go for the 3000?

Btw, thank you very much for your information.

I might go for the 3000 and then also get a new video card to go along with it, I am using 9800pro right now, its not that bad, but it does not appear to be enough for even counter strike source.

I will probably stick with AGP because I don't have to spend money on new rams.

Well it wouldnt even fit in the PCIe boards so you are forced to get a new card unless you get an AGP board, which isnt worth it.

aww...IC, so PCI-E is the way to go now I suppose.

I think I need to save a little more money, since I need to get PCI-E video card and rams to go with it.

Thank you all for the information.

I know my next set up is going to be AMD for sure, just not sure which one.

The RAM you have is not a bad RAM, so if I were you I'd get this:

DFI nF4 Ultra-D $135
A64 3000+ Venice ~$130-140?
Forton AX500-A $91.00
Radeon x800GT
or if you want to take a small risk, get a GF 6800LE and unlock it's pipes, I've seen one for $130 on newegg.
a case of your choice
keep your RAM.
You get a sub $700 system and it's gonna have an awesome OCing board and CPU and more than decent graphics system (especially with unlocked 6800LE).
Also just sell your 9800Pro to get some money back, and you'll be all set.

Yes :welcome:

The Coolest is right your ram is good and he has given you a budget performance setup.

You would be very happy with that setup

I think I am gonna go ahead with the setup that the coolest recommended.

Btw, I have an Antec Neopower, will that work with the MB/cpu?

Back