• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channel question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Alright, not dealt with computers in nearly two years and have a question on some parts I've ordered as I'm a bit unsure as to what I've done.

I ordered 2 X 1GB Patriot Signature Line sticks of PC3200 for the dual core rig I'll be putting together in a couple months. The board, which I'm still a bit undecided on, is probably going to end up being the DFI Ultra-D. Now, my problem is that I didn't order a 2GB dual channel kit. I ordered two separate pieces of 1GB DDR. I'm finding now that I may have made a mistake since all RAM is not created equally. I understand how this could cause a problem, but was unaware of it until recently (at least with memory within the same brand, model, etc.).

However, Newegg was decent enough to include the actual serial numbers on my invoice for each stick ordered. It's almost as if they assumed I would be using these in a dual channel setup, so was hoping that this was the case. Serial numbers are 0C1DVI07000017F and 0C1DVI07000017B...pretty darn close.

Anyone foresee these not working in a dual channel? I'm not too interested in overclocking this system once I get it together, but I did want a functional dual channel memory configuration. I guess I won't really know for sure until November, but it has me a bit concerned now :\

I read somewhere that the chips have to be identical. Not sure though. RAMMAN might be right.

:( sadly imo i seriosly think even tho that they are that close they wont work (unless its a AMD rig)

I think for intel riggs you need exact same sticks seeing as you have 17F and 17B i dont think thats close enuf for a intel rig.

But RamMan..... the name might know it all

i just Think they wont work dual channle in a intell rig.

syberspy9 said:
:( sadly imo i seriosly think even tho that they are that close they wont work (unless its a AMD rig)

I think for intel riggs you need exact same sticks seeing as you have 17F and 17B i dont think thats close enuf for a intel rig.

But RamMan..... the name might know it all

i just Think they wont work dual channle in a intell rig.

It's not Intel. DFI NF4 Ultra-D and an X2 4400+.

Jon said:
Alright, not dealt with computers in nearly two years and have a question on some parts I've ordered as I'm a bit unsure as to what I've done.

I ordered 2 X 1GB Patriot Signature Line sticks of PC3200 for the dual core rig I'll be putting together in a couple months. The board, which I'm still a bit undecided on, is probably going to end up being the DFI Ultra-D. Now, my problem is that I didn't order a 2GB dual channel kit. I ordered two separate pieces of 1GB DDR. I'm finding now that I may have made a mistake since all RAM is not created equally. I understand how this could cause a problem, but was unaware of it until recently (at least with memory within the same brand, model, etc.).

However, Newegg was decent enough to include the actual serial numbers on my invoice for each stick ordered. It's almost as if they assumed I would be using these in a dual channel setup, so was hoping that this was the case. Serial numbers are 0C1DVI07000017F and 0C1DVI07000017B...pretty darn close.

Anyone foresee these not working in a dual channel? I'm not too interested in overclocking this system once I get it together, but I did want a functional dual channel memory configuration. I guess I won't really know for sure until November, but it has me a bit concerned now :\

These will work in dual channel no problem just make sure the you install the latest BIOS (you can find it in my BIOS Vault and get the version -1) for your DFI board cause not all of them support X2 procs.

Worst thing that may happen even if the sticks are different (which are not) is that you may need to set the timings manually but I doubt that you will need to do that and also be sure to use the orange slots.

Thanks to you all.

Having all of this stuff sitting 7000 miles away is making nuts. I just know if I don't solve any incompatibilities/inconsistancies now, my RMA period will be up when I finally get there :\

I don't remember it being this complicated :]

Last edited:
As long as the timings, size, and speed are the same they can be used in dual channel brand doesnt really matter if your not overclocking. If you do then thats a different story since they can react differently to oc'ing (voltage, timings, speed, etc)

they will work in dual channel. i had kingston value ram that i bought with a system (1x 1GB) so i looked at the model number and ordered another one from newegg. well the original was made in china and CPUZ said it was a SAMSUNG brand instead of kingston, even though it had the model number of kingston and kingston written on the stick. when i got the new one in from newegg it was made in korea and CPUZ read it as Kingston K rather than SAMSUNG. It works in Dual channel. And they are definitely totally different RAM sticks but with the same model number. I can even overclock them to 450mhz stable. (these are the PC3200 of course). they were in the rig i have below until i got the crucials ;)

I have 2 sticks of Corsair PC3200 NON Dual Channel, but both my Abit IS-7 board and MSI K8n Neo2 will run them in dual channel.

Back