• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2GB of Ram 2x 1GB or 4x 512MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ssetre

I am looking at doing two gigs of ram. I want to make a gaming/work machine.

My mobo will be the IC7-MAX3 and a Pentium 4 M 2.8(D1) chip so 300 fsb isn't out of the question.

Which would be better 4 sticks of 1:1 at tighter timings or 2 sticks at probably 5:4 with the pretty standard 3-4-4-8 that 1Gig sticks seem to like when at 250ish clocks.

Any help is appreciated.

I'd go with whichever is cheapest at the moment. I don't think it will make a huge difference on an Intel system.

it actually does...

with 4x512 sticks i could only do 250 fsb stable, with 2x1gb it's 270-ish, same as 2x512. (i run all my ram on the divider, btw)

I would go with as few sticks as possible. The problem with running four sticks is that one of those sticks could be weaker than the others hurting your oc. Even with the fact that 1g sticks usually oc less than 512 I would go with 1g. Especially since companies like OCZ and Mushkin are coming out with some really good 2g sets with low timings and good overclocks.

Go with 2 sticks if you are planning on overclocking. There is always a problem with 4 sticks and getting high overclocks

If you are not doing any memory intensive programs then you are better of getting 1GB. If you are thinking that 2 gb is future proof your worng. Current games will run with 1gb and even future will run for a quiet a while. Probably your next system won't be even usind ddr depending on your time frame of upgrade

Last edited:
Ssetre said:
Alrighty then, whats a good suggestion for ram?

OCZ VX or Redline?
Don't forget both of these rams are high voltage, to make them work at 250 with 2.2.2.5 timming may require 3.3v. abit Max 3 supplies max of 3.2v and had problems with vtt above 2.8v which makes it even worse. Is your mobo volt moded that is a question?

You may want to consider looking for some tccd ram, which should should make to 250 and above with decent timings

Last edited:
OCZ 2x 1g

Remember also that if u go 2x1g then later in life u can always add another 2 sticks of 1g (if ur mobo saports that much ram and proll never happen but ya never know)

Ssetre said:
Alrighty then, whats a good suggestion for ram?

OCZ VX or Redline?

they don't make those in 1gig sticks; neither they do tccd. crucial has good sticks if you want to overclock high with loose settings. if you feel better with a divider and tight timings, ocz and mushkin have pretty good ones.

Back