• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UltraSharp 2005 FPW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The deals on these monitors right now aren't that great, even with the coupons. How often do they have a coupon redemption, sale where you can get these below the $500.00 price range? By the time you pay for tax, shipping and handling, you are right back at the $600.00 range if you purchase it through Dell. I noticed that there are a couple of different revisions, and problems (back light, dead pixels, etc.) that go along with a couple of them. Which one should you try to purchase, and if you don't go directly through Dell, how does the replacement policy apply if you need to return it?

Thanks

From what I have seen, the best coupons usually come around near the end of a financial quarter. Dell does that to boost their numbers for the end of the quarter. Last time, it got all the way down to $350.

Achilles17 said:
When does this quarter end? I ask because I too am in the hunt for a good coupon for the 2005fpw.

Yeah same here. I'm not going to pay $500+ for it. If I can't wait I'm just going to pick up the 19" Hyundai that one of my friends just bought.

i too am thinking of this 19" Hyundai l90d+ lcd mon.

i have read alot of reviews on this one and it's rated pretty high, but is there better?

i game and do video and i like to watch movies on my pc. i too want to knoe what i should be looking for under 500$

locaj said:
i too am thinking of this 19" Hyundai l90d+ lcd mon.

i have read alot of reviews on this one and it's rated pretty high, but is there better?

i game and do video and i like to watch movies on my pc. i too want to knoe what i should be looking for under 500$

I like my friend's a lot. No ghosting in games and it seems to be of excellent quality. I have a 17" widescreen on my laptop, and man I would love to replace my 19" crt with a 20.1" widescreen lcd. Widescreen rules. The 19" Hyundai would definetly work in my case, probably in yours too. The montior has better specs, the only thing that you're really missing out on is the extra 1.1" and the widescreen.

Was going to give my NEC 1860NX (which btw, has been flawless) to the wife to replace her Viewsonic 17" CRT but I guess we can wait a month or so and see if the 2005 FPW comes down in price. If not, probably go with the Hyundai too. Thanks for the advice.

Well... even if there is no active coupons you can still call up dell SB and talk to a couple CSR's and probalby get the deal below 400.

I really think you'd be selling yourself short by getting the 19"...anything 17/19".

It's not just about the diagonal viewing area...it's about pixels and aspect ratio...both of which the 19" fall incredibly short of a 20" widescreen.

I've used 17" CRT's and LCD's, 19" CRT's and LCD's, 20" widescreen and normal LCD's and a current 24" wide LCD....the 5:4 aspect of 17 and 19 lcd's blows compared to 4:3 let alone 16:10.

I would call a bunch of times for a CSR who'll give a good deal or just wait for the widescreen.

I just bought a 2005FPW at the current selling price of 559.20 shipped and applied a $60 off $500 coupon, bringing the total to 499.20 (+tax). While it would have been sastifying to land this monitor for 350 as some have done in the past, it's still the best deal at $500. The image quality of this thing is astonishing, easily the best I have seen.

I bought mine from dell at the going rate for a few reasons. I wanted the latest production example as these screens have been troubled in the past. Also, I wanted no question if I decided to return it, and no doubt about the warranty. And I ordered it Tuesday evening ad recieved the unit Thursday.

Mine has zero backlight issues, and only one dead pixel, which is black. Its text and graphics performance is ungodly. Motion performance is good, with movie playback flawless and games like Quake3 and Call of Duty looking tremendous at 125fps and the native 1680x1050 resolution. At 250fps the refresh of the screen becomes obvious, but 125fps is really good enough.

Other features of the 2005 that are great are the stand and USB ports. They have two USB2.0 ports on the right edge of the monitor and two out the bottom. The stand allows effortless height, tilt, and rotation adjustment, and pivots the screen as well. It is very solid and attaches to the panel itself in an instant.

The only thing that blows about the 2005 is the scaling peformance when using its SVHS input with a DVD player. At 1:1 the picture is exquisite, but tiny. Scaling it to fill the screen produces noticeable artifacts that ruin the display. Movies played via the PC look great.

larva have you tried aspect stretch? When I use component and aspect stretch on 2405 things look normal..just bigger

There is no component input on the 2005, just super-V, DVI, and VGA. Aspect and fill do the same thing with my dvd player inputing via the super-V jack.

Thanks larva and ajrettke. That's some great input on the price, resolution and quality of this LCD. I'll give Dell a call tomorrow and see if I can negotiate a lower price. I very much agree with you about not wanting to take a chance with purchasing it through an alternative source, and then having to fight with them about THEIR return/replacement policy.

Wow, $350? That's awesome!
Now I just have to convince my parents that i'm not "out of my mind" to want a 20 inch LCD.
I mean, I'm going to college. I think it's about time for me to get rid of my (once very nice) 19 inch CRT with crappy convergence, which is unreadable at 1600x1200@85Hz
How much of a difference does 1680x1050 make over 1600x1200 or 1280x960 in everyday productive work? Does having widescreen help with research or coding or the like? Dad thinks I just want it for games.

you can have 2 adobe documents and 2 word documents side by side...not sure about coding, but I would always have 2 windows side by side when I did code but that was on a standard 4:3...if your code lines are long then I guess it would help. For productivity nothing beats dual monitors...I got the best of both worlds with dual LCD's, one wide, one normal

Back