• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5, How much on core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechtonicPC

Member, formerly Surfrat
Trying to get a diffinative answer here.

When I pop off the stock heatsink from my 6800, there is a butt load of that paste fromt he thermal pad, gooped up on it.

Now I removed all of it fromt he heat sink and the core. I assumed that you would put the AS5 on using the same thickness as you would put if applying to a CPU heatspreader.

I am now a little curious, because I actually got a 2C increase in temps after this. Now I know AS5 gets better after a week or so, but should I put this stuff on thicker?

Should it be as thick as the stock paste was?

Last question is, does anyone ahve any good suggestions for an aftermarket cooler for this card?

Thanks for the time, Here are some pics.

6800core.jpg

6800as5.jpg

a dot about 2mm long by 2mm wide is plenty big, AS5 doesnt need a large area to be effective. Now whether u want to spread it around or just drop the heatsink to spread it is entirely up to you. I just dropped it but others spread it.

Good after market heatsinks are the Zalman coolers for air and if your water, get a DD Maze 4 or the the 6800 core/ram block.

Anyreason u can think of why my temps have gone up so much then? lookin at 4c increase now from stock thermal crap.

I used it just like on my CPU, and followed the instructions from Artic's site (first apply to heat sink then wipe off then a small amount on the core). I'm using the Zalman all copper VF 700 with excellent results (59-62 C after hour of playing Doom3 on high, down from 70-72 C). Your temps maybe from the heatsink that surrounds the RAM. A real crappy setup IMHO. Zalman's kit came with 8 RAM Hs's and they make a difference. Good luck
Magicky

I played around with AS5 quite a bit when installing the Zalman, The best advice I can give is less is better, From what I can see you just want the thermal compound to fill in any pits or imperfections as far as contact. I ended up using a very small drop, Spread it out with a razor blade and with that method I achieved my lowest temps. I started out using the grain of rice size glob, Got decent temp drops, However in my particular case I ended up using a drop about 1/2 the size of a b.b. and spread it as evenly as I possibly could.

Well I reapplied AS5 a little thicker, and got a smidge better results, but still not what I was getting stock. Not sure what went wrong.

I went ahead and ordered the VGACOOLER ZALMAN VF700-CU - Retail, taht everyone is raving about. I have plenty of AS5 already but do I need anything for the ramsinks, or is what comes in the package ok to use?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I have the 77cu on my 68gt, The unit comes with thermal tape on the ramsinks, Just peel and stick, Probably not as good as if you would actually clean and use artic alumina/adhesive, However still works pretty well and you can't beat the ease of installation. Good solid cooler and the installation was a breeze.

ScottinIndy said:
I have the 77cu on my 68gt, The unit comes with thermal tape on the ramsinks, Just peel and stick, Probably not as good as if you would actually clean and use artic alumina/adhesive, However still works pretty well and you can't beat the ease of installation. Good solid cooler and the installation was a breeze.

Thanks Scott, should have it by Wed.

My card isnt getting outrageously hot, depending on ambient, but at full load it is reaching 64c. Problem is when that happens, I start getting graphics problems inc ertain games.

Back