• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are there any tests/diagnostics i could run to see if my CPU is dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sage2050

i'm afraid it might be,but i dont know any sure way to check and don't have a spare one to use.

i get IRQL errors when i try to boot to windows and some other random memory errors doing other stuff, and i know my RAM is fine (cause i tested it for several hours and didnt get one error). i hear 0x0A and 0x0D1 memory errors (IRQL) can be CPU related, so thats what i'm startin to thing

i get IRQLs, PAGE_DEFAULTs, and a few other blue screens in the middle of windows installs =/ ive tried with two cds (one legit) and two drives.

i ran memtest 86. i tested dual channel for around 5 or 6 hours with not a single error. i'm not overclocked.

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
Athlon 64 3200+
XP-120 w/ 120mm Thermaltake fan
GeForce 6600gt
1gig (2x512) corsair XMS PC3200C2PT
Blue Storm 500w
200gb seagate barracuda
160gb seagate barracuda

anything else you need to know?

Have you tried new leads between your HD/CDROM and Motherboard. I've found this to cause these sorts of errors before. Also a HD that is getting hot may do this.

ok, i still get nothing. when i try to boot windows from my main hdd the computer just restarts itself, no blue screen or anything.

I don't think you can get ANYwhere if your cpu is toast... You'd get an error on post... I'd format or reinstall windows before I replaced a CPU, imo

It doesn't seem too far-fetched that the CPU could work well enough to POST but not be fully intact.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but are you running everything at stock speed for your diagnostics? Thanks, and good luck -- Paul

Try using the HDD on a different computer,or use a different HDD, or use a different CPU and so on.

Try booting in safe mode if possible, that way you can try to use system restore or actually reinstall Windows.

Underclock, set your processor to 5x 200. Check your rails, too. As good as Fortron is, you might have still gotten a DOA piece of equipment.

If you have any extra PCI cards in, like a capture card or something, try taking that out. I get errors sometimes with mine.

i wuold second the reply to underclock your cpu for testing. sounds to me like you probably have a hard drive problem, ram, or bios setting...

i would strip your pc down to bare minimum and start over. mak sure you invest in a voltage meter now if you havent done so yet. they are extremely handy and will come in use right at this point !!

Back