• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic Micro ATX PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dhutch

Registered
Im looking to build a Micro ATX PC, which will mainly be used for university work and surfing the net, but will also have to play games such as Unrealtournamet and NFSu, as well as run 3d design programs, such as AutoCAD, ProEngineer and SolidWorks.

ive built a few pc's before now, but ive fallen behind a bit over the last year, so i havnt got fully upto speed on all this 64bit PCI-E stuff yet, but i dont think my budget covers that yet, so i think im still better off sticking with A SocketA setup

But, i though id go with somthing along the lines off

AthlonXP 3000+ (barton)
Some MicroATX Mobo, with onboard sound/lan.
2x 512mb PC2300 ram
ATI 9800 Pro 256 mb
PCI tc card
120GB HDD, possably Sata
DVD RW

And maybe this case if can get one
3306-1-.jpg

Daniel

whooo, that was quick!

Im in the UK, but budgetwise im looking at about £500 (about $900ish), not including monter/keybrd/etc

id rather not get a shuttle, simply becuase id rather build it myself, just for the fun, like i have will all my pcs

you build your own shuttle. it's just that the motherboard is already put in(and they are good motherboards). you could get the XFX $209 6800, Shuttle SN25P(nForce4 Ultra), 1gb(512x2) Corsair Value Select, 160gb Seagate 7200.8 SATA hd, and a 3000+ Venice which is easily overclocked past 3200+ speeds.

-1cem4n

1cem4n's reccomendation is probably your best bet. I'll try and configure something for you. If only Newegg shipped overseas, you'd be set price-wise. Most UK stores seem to be on the expensive side.

Aopen H340A Beige Tower Case
350W Enermax PSU

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
2GB Corsair ValueSelect DDR
160GB Maxtor DiamondMax
Leadtek 6800GT

Total: £579 (Approx)

The mobo was a no-go, not microATX so jst find yourself a decent microATX mobo and you're set. I figures you could use some more RAM since you were doing some heavy program work.

Got all of this stuff from http://www.scan.co.uk

Last edited:
I dunno guys... i think that first case looked pretty hawt. But for gaming go 3000+ venice, use the extra money on something else, or just keep you under budget. I'd get a better psu if it was possible (fortron 500w would be best). Also, if you want to make it yourself you may want to look in to the aspire x-qpack. I believe fullsized powersupplies will fit if you use a short enough DVD-drive. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=924745&page=2&pp=20 They talk about fitting in the powersupply there. There's also low profile molexes here http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164&products_id=1169

This is so you can get a good powerful supply in your case. The $80 case might break your budget though...

Ebuyer.com is the UK's equivalent of Newegg. Well, it's pretty close. I've used them for all 4 of my PCs, and I can definately recommend them.

Cap'n Pedro said:
Ebuyer.com is the UK's equivalent of Newegg. Well, it's pretty close. I've used them for all 4 of my PCs, and I can definately recommend them.

are you kidding me? i can't even find a 3000+ venice on that website. as for the q-pack, i just don't think it's worth it because it seems a little flimsy and pretty ugly IMO.

-1cem4n

Yeah, ebuyer is about as cheap as it gets in the uk, there website is poor, but i was worse, so im not complaining! - Also scan is not bad, espcially as i can get the postage knocked off.

But back to topic, ckj what do you mean by 'hawt' (is this good or bad?), also thanks alot bacontheroy, i'll work on that.
- what are good mobo's to go with bacons parts?

Daniel

3306-1-.jpg

Just so you know, this case has a really really crappy cooling setup. I don't recommend going this small if you want a gaming system inside of it.

Captain Slug said:
Just so you know, this case has a really really crappy cooling setup. I don't recommend going this small if you want a gaming system inside of it.
Ok, i'll bare that in mind, one fo the reasons i was going with MicroATX rather then flexatx or miniitx was to give me a little more room to make the cooling quieter.
- Im happy to take a jigsaw to any case i buy, infact out of the five i have the only one i havnt is my antec sonarta, but that mainly just becuase its the only one ive paid more than £40 for!
- Also, can you eleborate on why that particular case is not so good? Because i kind of like it. Its small, which is what im doing this for, a nice shape/style, and its got a half decent hand on the top. The only real thing i see it lacking is a decent vent in the front, but thats what you get if you make the frontage smaller without decreasing the amount off stuff on it!
- How can i be much worse than a shuttle?

Daniel

cause a shuttle has a really good design? the new P chassis has a lot of potential for overclocking.

-1cem4n

Also, is there any major diffrence between the skt939 and skt754 Athlon64 3000+ ?

- Becuase there seam to be more skt754 MicroATX boards

Daniel

socket 939 has more upgradability, more features, dual channel, pci-e, and a couple other features. the socket 754 boards are like the socket 478 of intel. they're good but they won't let you have all the latest features and they have no upgradability.

-1cem4n

Being doing some sorting, and came up with this.

Case. . Q-Tec EL-Micro Case With 300W Power Supply . . . . . . . . . . £25.73
Mobo. . Gigabyte K8NMF-9 K8-939 nForce4 fsb1600Mhz uATX . . . . . £50.51
. . or . Foxconn NF48MA-KS uATX S939 nForce, SATA. . . . . . .. . . . . 52.06*
CPU. . AMD Athlon 64 3000 32/64Bit S939 Venice 90nm. . . . . . . . . . . £82.60
RAM. . 1Gb (2x512Mb) Corsair, DDR400/PC3200,CL2.5, . . . . . . . .. . . . £65.33
HDD. . 120Gb Maxtor Plus 10 (7200rpm,8MB) - SATA - Lead Free. . .. . . . £49.30
G Card. . .128mb XFXGeForce6600std PCI-E DualDVI *Passive H/S*. . . . . £72.23
Cpu cooler Akasa AK-859 Paxpower Pure Copper Heat Sink Fan. . . . . . . . £21.02
. . . . Dual layer DVD-RW (not sure which yet). . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . £30.00
. . . . 1.44Mb Sony Silver Floppy Disk Drive OEM. . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . £4.34
. . . . 45cm Akasa SATAII Blue HDD Cable, w/R.angle connector. . . . . . . . £2.69
. . . . 60cm Akasa Round IDE Cable ATA-133 Certified. . . . . . . . . . . . . . £2.93
. . . . 45cm Akasa Round Floppy Drive Cable . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . £1.63
. . . . Akasa 2grammes AK450-2G Thermal Heat Sink Compound "Silver". . . £1.50

what do people think of that?

Daniel

Back