• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does this compare to the Dell 2005FPW LCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kram4sites

Envision 20" LCD Monitor vs. Dell 2005FPW LCD Monitor. Help!

Well basically I have been looking around, waiting for a deal on either Dell's 2405FPW, or the lesser 2005FPW. Without success I decided to see what else is out on the market and I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824197011

To be honest I dont really know if I want widescreen or not, It just depends on the raw quality of these two monitors.

After seeing the Envision I must say, I have been leaning towards it. The only thing that is holding me back is Dell does not list the response time of the 2005FPW so I dont know how it compares in that factor.

After taking a look at both of these monitors, please list which one you would choose. Also, if you find a good review on EITHER please link it.

Dell:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...age=productlisting.aspx&instock=&refurbished=

I do play lots of games.

ALL IN SHORT: Which monitor should I get, or even... would you get?

Last edited:
Im pretty sure the response time on the 2005fpw is 12ms, I know its 12ms for the 2405

the envision is not widescreem te 2005FPW is + you can get the 2005FPW for cheaper on sale

I got the 2005FPW. It's a great screen, easily the best I've seen. And I'm a fps junkie, but even so its response is fast enough for me. Video is flawless, and 3D shooters like Quake3 and Call of Duty look fantastic at 125fps at the monitor's 1680x1050 native resolution.

You can google up a dell home coupon for $60 off 500-100 purchases that is good until the 14th. This will make the 2005fpw 499.20, or if you are unsold on the widescreen aspect ratio get the 2001fp for 501 and change. These are fantastic looking monitors, I chose the 2005fpw and I recommend it to you if your games are amiable to a 16:10 screen.

Everyone raves about widescreen, and the 2005FPW (and 2405FPW). Looks like im going to go with the dell, but for those who cant stand widescreen the Envision may be a good pick (it also isnt stuck at 1280x1024). Thanks for all of your input.

larva said:
I got the 2005FPW. It's a great screen, easily the best I've seen. And I'm a fps junkie, but even so its response is fast enough for me. Video is flawless, and 3D shooters like Quake3 and Call of Duty look fantastic at 125fps at the monitor's 1680x1050 native resolution.

Sorry to say but no. An LCD with a 16ms time runs at 62.5FPS, and the 2005 has a 16ms time. Seeing as your video card is not as fast as a 6800GT and runnnig at a res of 1680 x 1050, 125 is not going to happen. Here is a small chart found anywhere on the net 16ms =62.5FPS, 12ms =83.3 FPS,
8ms = 125FPS. Programs such as Fraps can be off on just how many FPS you are really getting. Here is the chart if you would like to take a look at it

You know the 2005FPW does have a similar friend in its class if you don't want widescreen. Its a Dell 20.1" LCD 2001FP with 1600x1200 res, very similar to the wide screen.

Truely widescreen is grand, and I don't regret it. *Puts saftey lock on 2405FPW so no one can steal it*

Last edited:
Anyone think the 2405FPW will go back on sale anytime soon? It used to be available for about $950-ish, now it's back at around $1200 *sob*

deathman20 said:
You know the 2001FPW does have a similar friend in its class if you don't want widescreen. Its a Dell 20.1" LCD with 1600x1200 res, very similar to the wide screen.

The 2001FP is the none wide screen version of the 2005FP.
2001 Specs
Image Brightness: 250 cd/m2 (typical)
Image Contrast Ratio: 400:1
Lamp Type: CCFL (6) edgelight system
Max Operating Temperature: 95°F
Max Resolution: Up to 1600x1200 Pixel

2005 Specs
Image Aspect Ratio: 16:10
Image Brightness: 300 cd/m²
Image Contrast Ratio: 600:1
Max Resolution: 1680x1050 Pixels

Wicked_Klown said:
Sorry to say but no. An LCD with a 16ms time runs at 62.5FPS, and the 2005 has a 16ms time. Seeing as your video card is not as fast as a 6800GT and runnnig at a res of 1680 x 1050, 125 is not going to happen. Here is a small chart found anywhere on the net 16ms =62.5FPS, 12ms =83.3 FPS,
8ms = 125FPS. Programs such as Fraps can be off on just how many FPS you are really getting. Here is the chart if you would like to take a look at it
Believe it or not I know what fps the game is running at. I'm looking at the machine rather than conjecturing from afar. These games have an internal fps meter, it is not a fraps reading. /cg_drawfps 1 shows fps in real time on most any Q3 engine game. Whether the screen's response time is theoretically fast enough to display the full framerate, the card is putting it out and it looks and plays great. This thing is not Vsynced.

And thanks for the concern about the speed of my video card. It only manages 463fps average on a timedemo demo four in 1680x1050 in Quake3. I cap these games at 125fps for use with the 2005, it can keep 250fps pegged, which I know that is my perferred CRT config. LCD's are not as fast, no matter what the rating, but do well at 125fps. Perhaps you might try these things next time before declaring them unworkable.

larva said:
Believe it or not I know what fps the game is running at. I'm looking at the machine rather than conjecturing from afar. These games have an internal fps meter, it is not a fraps reading. /cg_drawfps 1 shows fps in real time on most any Q3 engine game. Whether the screen's response time is theoretically fast enough to display the full framerate, the card is putting it out and it looks and plays great. This thing is not Vsynced.

And thanks for the concern about the speed of my video card. It only manages 463fps average on a timedemo demo four in 1680x1050 in Quake3. I cap these games at 125fps for use with the 2005, it can keep 250fps pegged, which I know that is my perferred CRT config. LCD's are not as fast, no matter what the rating, but do well at 125fps. Perhaps you might try these things next time before declaring them unworkable.

So I guess all the people who have done reviews on LCD, those who came up with 1000/ the response time were all wrong. See I'm not looking at this afar I happen to have a 2001FP running off a 6800GT. The 2001 and the 2005 have the same response time. Before picking out an LCD I read many reviews and did hours of research before buying. You can believe what you want but it's not possible for your 16ms response time LCD to do 125FPS or the 250pegged as you said. Just cause your game says it's doiung it is no sign the LCD is doing it. After all you seem like a smart guy, do the math 1000/16=what. The only way you would be getting 125FPS is with a 8ms response time LCD and to get the 250FPS you would need a 4ms LCD. Lastly I just ran the Quake 3 timedemo at a res or 1600 x 1200 on a 6800GT. Using Fraps which said 91FPS and /cg_drawFPS 1 which showed 90FPS. It's very possible that it is showing those FPS , but what I was saying is the LCD does have a limit as to what it picks up.

Last edited:
Hee hee, you tell him larva :cool: . Last man you should start an arguement with...

Seriously though Kram4sites, go for the 2005fpw, widescreen truely is the superior option to a normal 4:3 aspect. It's a far more natural viewing aspect, and anyone that "can't stand" widescreen is quite obviously jealous, there is no logical reason why someone would not prefer a widescreen aspect computer monitor.

Has anyone heard of someone that has bought a widescreen LCD and sent it back because they couldn't get used to it? I was "used to mine" in a bout 15 minutes, going back to 4:3 now is the wierdest experience, it's like "where has the rest of the screen gone?!" I don't game that much anymore, but CS:Source and Half Life 2 are a joy to behold in 16:10 @ 1680x1050.

Just make sure you check your screen thorougly for backlight problems and any cosmetic damage before deciding to keep it. I had a god awful experience with my 2 2005fpw's, but get a good one and it's a peach.

:)

Hey Guys,

I found these coupon codes. They're probably the same ones that Larva was talking about. 2005FPW for $499 and the 2405FPW for $899.25. Tempting...

Click Here

Pano

Back