• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grounding prob?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkDraco

for some reason i noticed none of my computers seem to be grounded. any part thats bare metal or touching metal tends to shock me when i touch it. like if i put the back of my hand or any sensitive skin on a screw thats piercing through the paint and touching the case shocks me. i used on of those electric current screw driver thingys that light up if it touches something electric andit lights up. wtf o_O

yeah... thats bad..

get a 10 doller plug tester and test the plug-in you use for your computer.. make sure its grounded..

its not electricuting me lol. just shocks me when im offgaurd and working on something in the case.

i believe the wall plug is not grounded cuz when i hit the off switch on the extention cable, i can still feel it.

hy·per·bo·le Audio pronunciation of "hyperbole" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-pûrb-l)
n.

A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

zomg i thought you were sooo serious!

sar·casm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (särkzm)
n.
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

:p

Under normal circumstances you shouldn;'t be getting shocked at all by touching computers. If the computer or appliances has AC current leak to metal case and the ground wiring of the AC outlet is missing or you're using ground adapter for non grounded outlet, those will need to be fixed.

It may feel bad but is probably harmless and caused by two disk capacitors connected between the ground prong and the AC lines in either the computer or a piece of AC-powered equipment connected to it. The capacitors are meant to filter out interference generated by the computer, but if they're not grounded they put half the line voltage on the computer case. They're low value capacitors and won't leak hazardous amounts of AC, but I'd much rather have everything plugged into grounded AC outlets or at least ground fault interrupter/shock preventers. The latter won't stop the shocks but will turn off the AC if they become dangerous.

You may not have to buy a outlet tester if you have a surge protector with an indicator light that glows when plugged into a grounded outlet.

Last edited:
Back