• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Error 15: File Not Found" - Grub and Gentoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Hey guys..

So I got my thing straightened out and continued with the install.. Got to the bootloader... got grub working..

Rebooted the computer, grub starts up - I select Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r10, and it says "Error 15: File Not Found". The thing before it is that kernel /kernel-2.6 blah blah.. I had the color stuff appended to that, but I removed it and still got the error.

I haven't had time to hunt down the error yet, but I figured I'd post it up here in case either this is something very obvious or if someone has the free time...

Thanks for any help :-]

here's an article on all the grub error codes link
it looks like you have your kernel path wrong in your grub.conf or have a mistyped letter in there somewhere.

during the grub menu you can press 'c' to use the command line version, and find your kernel that way, or you can press 'e' to edit the config file before executing.

when you use command mode it has tab completion, which will show you which files you have to choose from. The syntax is really simple...just type help ( I think ? ) and it will show you all commands.

I had that same problem the other night when I installed Gentoo. I had two problems in my grub.conf file. The first was the drive I specified. I had said to use hd(1,0) since the drive I installed gentoo was hdb. But in reality is was hd(0,0) since that drive is first in the boot order in the bios.
The second was I had mistyped the name for the kernel when I compiled it so I had to change that line in grub.conf to match the mistyped name.

Back