• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop video question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooah

I'm getting a cheap old IBM A40 laptop given to me for school, its gonna have XP on it and i'll use it for notes....however, the job i have now is so boring so i wanted to use it for some games too. Farcry, maybe some NHL2005/6, etc. I understand its not going to have incredible graphics, thats ok, its just to pass the time.

Is there anyway to upgrade the video card? The processor is a P3 800mhz, so i'm not sure if it'll play the games i want anyways, but figured i'd ask.

as for upgrade, i'm thinking maybe a mobile card should work like ATI 9600 or something in that range. again this is for games only to pass the time, so not looking for $800 suggestions, cheapy, cheapy that will play farcry...barely. heres what i'm looking to play:
far cry (iffy)
NHL 2005 or 2006
simcity 4
Some sort of racing game

so nothing really graphics intensive except far cry.

i'm looking into an external DVD drive too so i can watch movies on it.

Just noticed Far Cry recommends 1ghz, i've only got 800, memory is good, video card they want min 64mb, donno what i have yet, but it will be crap.

Last edited:
I do believe back in the p3 days that most the graphics cards where integrated or soldered to the motherboard so i don't think it will be possible to upgrade... you should go check out www.notebookforums.com and do a search for your laptop model.

Back