• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual PSU mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fernii

The aim: Primary PSU powers the motherboard and the R9800. Secondary PSU powers everything else

I'm wondering, what method is the best way to combine a 300W PSU with a 200w PSU?

Well the 300 would power mobo and the r9800 i suppose. Look at the sticky in this section for mor information.

yea, the 300w powering the mobo and R9800 is what i'm lookin at.

I looked through the sticky and i couldn't decide which method to use.

Fernii said:
yea, the 300w powering the mobo and R9800 is what i'm lookin at.

I looked through the sticky and i couldn't decide which method to use.

This is the easiest method by far and allows you to revert back at any time.

http://www.burningissues.net/how_to/power/adaptor.htm

This is the method that I used. I have been running it flawlessly for over a year.

Finished_Dual_PSU_Cable.JPG

Finished_End.JPG

Dual_PSU_Pins_Pulled.JPG

as you can see I did mine a little different so it looks a little neater as well. In addition I looped the Power OK wire long and wire tied them back into connector to give my connector a little more rigidity so I would have four wires instead of just two.

thanks for the help guys. I've now completed the mod after dealing with a small problem; one of the critical wires actually broke from the female plug. So I had to butcher both PSU's in order to get it working. it's gone from goofy to completely stable. voltages are now where they're supposed to be.

Back