• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no water no frost right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sonicdrive

i am working on a pure nitrogen system that is vac down to 200 microns and then nitrogen is put in place of air and brought back to normal presser about 1 to 2 inch's of water column a evap core is put in side the box with a fan basically putting a ac system that can reach 5 to 10 deg with no frost build up with the water vapor gone in the unit there should be no frost right well that is what i hope for any input would be nice if this has been tried but next month ill have a working model

Dang dude! Take a breath :D Anywho, in theory, yes. No air means no water, means no frost. Seeing is believing though. You would have to get 100% of the moisture out obviously.

You also have to worry about the ouside of the case. It it isn't insulated well enough there will be a lot of condensation on the outside. Obviously the box will be sealed so no water will get in, but it will still make a mess.

well my teacher at college sayes that if a system is brought down to 200 microns for about 1 hr. you will remove any water in the system. vapor will boil off and be removed from the system. i hope it works but i dont care if the outside sweats that can be resolved easier than frost inside.

sonicdrive said:
well my teacher at college sayes that if a system is brought down to 200 microns for about 1 hr. you will remove any water in the system. vapor will boil off and be removed from the system. i hope it works but i dont care if the outside sweats that can be resolved easier than frost inside.

Go for it! I am curious and would like to see how it works :)

You plan to seal your case and pull a vacuum? Try that on a tin can first and see what happens. Most likely the can will crush from atmospheric pressure. Your case will implode before you reduce the pressure by one pound. I would guess that you would need at least 1/4" plate steel case walls to withstand the vacuum pressure.

Edit: You would probably be better off sealing you case and then pumping dry nitrogen through the case for a while. The remaining water could be removed with a powerfull desicant.

More Edit: I was curious so I did a little research. It looks like a type of desiccant known as a molecular sieve can bring the dew point of air down to -100F. Here is the cheapest stuff I can find.
http://www.imscompany.com/product_03.asp?itemid=5775
Also since you are going to keep it absolutely sealed, find the best gass for heat transfer. Pure hydrogen is the best but has boom potential.

Last edited:
well with the research in hvac (the Field that I'm in ) i can make the unit out of 1/4 inch PVC plastic with a ridged frame for support that should be able to with hold the vac. the gas is going to be a mixture of helium and nitrogen. the two will separate when the unit is under vac but when it is at normal pressers (atoms) it will blend well with no chance of water. the plan is to have the PC running with no extream fans just normal ones. I sat down and worked the numbers out with my phys teacher at college and in theory it should work with minor hic ups I hope LOL i just need to work on a helium and nitrogen experiments and see what happens with the two gasses under extream cooling with the schools permission i am allowed to use the cascade cooling unit. a unit that will get down to -120 deg F in a matter of one min. will post results when done

LabRat23 said:
You plan to seal your case and pull a vacuum? Try that on a tin can first and see what happens. Most likely the can will crush from atmospheric pressure. Your case will implode before you reduce the pressure by one pound. I would guess that you would need at least 1/4" plate steel case walls to withstand the vacuum pressure.

Edit: You would probably be better off sealing you case and then pumping dry nitrogen through the case for a while. The remaining water could be removed with a powerfull desicant.

More Edit: I was curious so I did a little research. It looks like a type of desiccant known as a molecular sieve can bring the dew point of air down to -100F. Here is the cheapest stuff I can find.
http://www.imscompany.com/product_03.asp?itemid=5775
Also since you are going to keep it absolutely sealed, find the best gass for heat transfer. Pure hydrogen is the best but has boom potential.
the same thing can be done with a compresser and a filter dryer or a fan and a large filter dryer you just have to have the make it so it can be changed easily

Back