• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just messing around oldschool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDan3131

I have my old comp a PIII,I was looking into using it as a spare for older games I still like to play. I found a mobo that supports the 2x256 of pc133 I have and it also supports pc2100.

Here's the question: Is the pc2100 much faster than the pc133 or just marginaly?

That's correct. PC2100 would be 184pin with one notch while PC133 would be 164pin plus two notches. Wouldn't say it is compatable with PC2100 unless it is one of those dual "upgradable" mobos.

There were a few socket 370 motherboards made that used either SDRAM or DDR RAM (but not both at the same time). DDR RAM is much faster and better than SDRAM, but with the P-III architecture and that motherboard chipset, I really doubt you'll see much difference. Just use whatever you have on hand.

I have a P3 motherboard with a 266Pro chipset that uses either PC 2100 or PC133. There is no real difference in the performance between the 2 types of RAM. I would use what ram you have available.

I still have my CUV266 boards which came out at the end of the Coppermine era and are S370 and use DDR. The main advantage is you can easily run 1x512 or 2x512 MB ram at up to 166, 2-2-2-5 if you got say, BH-5. Try that with SDRAM. Very difficult to get more than 2x256 MB sticks of PC133 up that high at 2-2-2-. You don't need very good DDR to do this either.

It's was shown there is no performance increase between DDR and SDRAM when it comes to the S370 platform. But being able to run 1 GB ram at 160, 2-2-2-5 is insane, back in those days.

Back