• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed my new Athlon XP 1700+ (1.47gigs for us old-timers)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

I just recieved my new XP 1700+ from FedEx like 15 minutes ago. I am EXTREMELY pleased! I have done nothing to try to unlock the multipliers at all, I just threw it in, left it at default voltage on the CPU, and maintained my 150FSB. So far, at a default voltage of 1.75v, I am hitting 1.65gigs with EASE! My temps have not gone over 30c YET! I love the new organic materials they have used and the development of lower heat and voltage usage implemented in these new CPU's. My setup is the same as in my Sig with the exception of this new XP CPU. WOW! So far, this is well worth the price. My system boots faster, runs Windows and Windows apps much more efficiently, and after I type this will probably run my games better as well. WOOT! GO AMD!

so you think getting the xp 1700 or 1800 is a better way to go then getting the 1.4 and over clocking it?

Oh heck yeah! I had to raise the vcore by /1 because my game, Anarchy Online, liked to freze the system after about an hour of play and when i did my Idle temps are 30c and load is 33c. thats at 1.9volts.

Tacoman667 said:
I just recieved my new XP 1700+ from FedEx like 15 minutes ago. I am EXTREMELY pleased! I have done nothing to try to unlock the multipliers at all, I just threw it in, left it at default voltage on the CPU, and maintained my 150FSB. So far, at a default voltage of 1.75v, I am hitting 1.65gigs with EASE! My temps have not gone over 30c YET! I love the new organic materials they have used and the development of lower heat and voltage usage implemented in these new CPU's. My setup is the same as in my Sig with the exception of this new XP CPU. WOW! So far, this is well worth the price. My system boots faster, runs Windows and Windows apps much more efficiently, and after I type this will probably run my games better as well. WOOT! GO AMD!
I couldn't have said it better, it is a much smooher ride, get one you will not be disappointed.

I think the plycon tape stuff is the best method takes like 5 seconds and don't have to worry about shorting the L1s. cost about 7bucks per CPU but not too bad. I will try to make some at home but don't really know where to start maybe with silver enamel strips and get them straight and then cut them into a hundred little pieces! :)

Nice one. Its a good idea not to unlock the multiplier as there is almost no reliable information on unlocking the XP atm.

High FSBs are very hard to keep. I have tried a whole range of speeds on my computer. Unfortunately, my ram which I thought was so good overheats quickly and causes errors. ATM Im running at 152FSB with 8862222 timings. Windows doesnt crash until I hit speeds of 175Mhz 8862222 timings. But, games are very sensitive so I stay a lot lower.

Hopefully, I will be getting some heatspreaders to get my ram backup to speeds of >160Mhz 8862222 but only time will tell.

Well, I am quite happy at the moment with my 1650 overclock of 11x150 on this baby and only using 1.85v on the vcore. My 1.33 TBird wouldn't do that at all, I could hit 1610 but that was the max at 2.2v. I then knocked it down to 2.0v and settled in at 10.5x150 for 1575mhz total. Now I have the potential of going higher then my 1650mhz but I think I'll wait a while, gives me something to look forward to at a later date when I get really bored. =)

Back