• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad OCZ memory right of the bat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funzie

Well after buying a set of 1 GB DDR (2 pcs 512) PC-3200 (400) OCZ Dual Channel GoldVX (OCZ4001024ELDCGEVX-K) memory from monarch last monday with 2nd day shipping, oh they sent it second day, however they sent it on saturday morning. Not exactly happy about that. But thats a different story.

Well I got the memory today, put it in, the system locks on POST, I use one stick and it just resets before windows starts, I tried this with both sticks. I also played around with settings and voltages. The only way I could get it to work if it I put in my old cheapo sticks in with the OCZ's.

Ive also run memtest86 and it gives me about 2000+ errors when running in DDR (both sticks in blue slots, or brown slots). Similar number of errors when running just one stick at a time.

Here are my system specs to help you guys.
Motherboard - ASUS A8V-Deluxe
CPU - AMD 64 3700+ San Diego (939)
HD - Maxtor 16mb 300GB
Video - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Cooling - Custom Watercooled setup
PSU - OCZ Powerstream 420watt

I would be really ****ed if I have to send this memory back, which seems to be likely. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Steve or one of the other guys from OCZ should be able to assist you with this... For starters.... what timings and voltage are you running?

The A8V Deluxe doesn't have adjustment above 2.8V, so if you are trying to run 2-2-2 timings, that could be the issue right there. Set the memory to 2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.7V and 2T Command Rate and let me know your results. The VX RAM requires 3.2VDIMM.

Well ive been playing with timmings all day and i haven't found one that hasn't given me memtest86 errors, even the 2.5-3-3-6 timings. The most ive tried are 2-3-3-8, 2.5-3-3-6, and 2-3-3-6, all in 2.6v, 2.7v, and with 2.8v. In 2T and non 2T modes.

fldrice said:
That 3200VX is rated for 2-3-3-8 1T @ 2.8v If I remeber correctly. Try testing out the sticks one by one.

It is suppose to do that at 2.6V.

The same thing happened with my first set, I RMA'd them. Now they are doing awesome.

I haven't got time to play with them today, but tommorrow i'll test the individual sticks at the different timmings and update my mb bios just in case. Any other suggestions?

Back