• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FC3 Crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stewie

So, just when I thought I had fixed my server, it takes a nose dive and is now worse than ever before. Not to mention it does so right after I move 400 miles away from where it's located (in the NOC I work for).

So anyways, to the point. It now will not stay online for more than a few hours before crashing out. I have a feeling there's a memory leak somewhere, but I don't run all that much software. The memory grows gradually until it hits the top end of my 2 GB; but it doesn't seem to swap before crashing. Other than the basic daemons that Fedora runs, I have:

- Apache 2 w/ PHP 5
- MySQL 4.1
- Pure-ftp
- Postfix
- Cyrus IMAP

I've recompiled and updated all of them to the latest version (MySQL is actually installed via RPM; the rest are compiled). I've also shut down Apache, MySQL and Pure-ftp (one at a time), and it still crashes.

The logs tell next to nothing; they simply just stop when it crashes. I finally got some output on the terminal locally, but it doesn't mean much to me. It consisted of:

Vprink
Do page fault
Error code
Show trace
Do irq
Show stack
Show registers
Die
Do page fault

I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. I've swapped out every piece of hardware in the machine spare the case within the last 3 months, so I'm thinking that's not a problem. Anyone have any ideas?

It's normal for the memory to keep increasing. Linux caches stuff as it goes, so memory usage on a linux system that has been up for a while will generally be full. It knows what space it can gank when it needs space.

Disable everything you can and see if it's stable, then slowly add them back in one by one until it starts to crash.

Back