• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd 64 3200 overclocking help for a noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pontypool

Registered
I have read the tutorials here, but i dont understand a thing.
According to the guide here, i have to set the htt/fsb to 6x or 5x, now if they are talking about what i think they are, its under advanced chipset properties and mine is set to 1x at the moment.
Then the guide talks about changing the ratio and/ or changing memory timings, but how? with what app ?

I use abit guru and raise "extclk" which I beleive is the htt/fsb and it seems to increase the cpu clock speed, am i way off here? I mainly don't understand anything because what people are telling me doesn't appear anywhere that I can see on abit guru.
Basically i cant overclock this way much without the pc becomin unstable and crashing fairly promptly.

you really have to just keep reading and reading. Took me a month to fully understand it. And I wouldn't use any program to overclock. Always go into the bios to OC.

try using this little calculator tool for learning.

Attachments

• A64MemFreq11.zip
    10.7 KB · Views: 75
I dont think anyone here can explain it any better than what the stickies have. Try visiting multiple websites for more knowledge on overclocking.
also use that tool i listed on my last post.

does anyone here have a similar setup as me and safe overclocking specs so i have a comparison?

Hey pontypool, i too am having difficulty OCing, and i have a question...
they tell us to lower the "HTT multiplier" now i've been looking and reading, and still cannot find an answer; _Where_ do i change this HTT Multiplier, i'm utterly lost.
I've looked in Advanced settings, i believe it was, and i find HyperTransport settings, ok so in there it gives me options to change the (forget the exact terms) Hyper Transport frequency, its by default at 1000 mHz and i can lower it to 800mHz etc... all the way down to 200mHz I think.
Is this it? the HTT multiplier that everyone speaks of?? is this what you changed pontypool?
I apologize for not helping you at all... as i need much myself...

greyhound said:
First off, there is no 'FrontSide Bus' (FSB) in the classical sense anymore on a K8-class platform.

What corresponds to an 'FSB' on a 'classical' platform (e.g. Athlon XP) is the processors' Hypertransport-link which connects the processor to the chipset.

On 754-pin processors, this HT-link runs at a physical clockspeed of 800MHz using a DDR-technology which results in an effective clockspeed of 1600MHz.
On 939-pin processors, the HT-link runs at a physical clockspeed of 1000MHz using a DDR-technology which results in an effective clockspeed of 2000MHz (as of now, there is one single exception to this - the 939-pin A64 3400+ is a special OEM-only part, its HT-link is clocked at 800MHz/1600MHz effectively)

Now to answer your question, the option you're looking for (in BIOS) is called 'Hypertransport Frequency' and should be set to either 'Auto' or 5x (for a x5 HT-Multiplier: 200MHz x5 = 1000MHz).
You will find this option in your BIOS's 'Advanced'-menu

This post from the website shown below, Helped me and my question, so i hope it will also clarify some things for you, even though this was not part of your question.
http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t53208.html

Last edited:
On my motherboard there was a guru utility located at the top left hand side of the menu.
Here I saw the "multiplier factor" which was set at 10 and I think this is what I was supposed to reduce to 5 according to the top sticky of the page.
Of course there is also the Htt frequency in the advanced chipset properties.

Ok, I will try to help. Some of these settings you will see in bios for your cpu.

FSB = 200
Multiplier = 10
HTT multi = 5 (im guessing its 5)

Your FSB (200) and the multiplier (10) = 2,000mhz. the speed of your processor stock.
The HTT multi (5) is multiplied by your FSB (200) which equals your HTT speed which is 1,000. But then you double that number to find your real HTT speed (2,000mhz)

When overclocking, you wont be able to go higher than your cpu multiplier (10), but you will be able to lower it.
Your FSB (200) will be able to be increased.
Example: If you lower your multiplier to 9, and increase your FSB# say to 240, you will now have a processor speed of 2,160mhz.
But you have to be careful, when increasing your FSB, it also increases your memory speed from 200 (ddr400) to 240 (ddr480) if you are using the 1:1 divider for your memory.
Please use the calculator I listed in a previous post to play around with settings. It is most important to discover your max. memory speed, and then you will know how high you can go. After that, you can implement some dividers which keep your memory within it's desired range.

EDIT: Lower your HTT multiplier to 4 or even 3 depending where you place your FSB speed. remember, if you put your FSB to 250, and leave your HTT multi at 5, that will put your HTT speed way higher than what is recommended, and you will run into stability problems. Just try to keep your HTT speed at 1,000 or lower.
Like I mentioned earlier, the HTT speed is not important.

I think I worked out where the Ram speed could be altered, it was set to auto so I changed it to 200, I thought this could go as low as 133? Anyway my system wouldn't boot when I did that, so I cleared the cmos.
that option appears in advanced chipset properties > dram clock not sure if I got it wrong, but other than that I don't see ram type speed settings anywhere else and I still don't see how to set the memory ratio to 1:1
Think I will email abit support and ask for clarification where these items are.

the ram 200, 166, 133, etc... is the divider. They dont mean anything as far as memory mhz. please tell me you are using that calculator tool i posted, its an excellent tool that most overclockers dont know about.
leaving it at 200 means your memory is running 1:1, or the same speed you have your FSB at. When you change that divider, you really alter the speed of your ram.

Back