• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max Payload Size and TLP: What it means ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Renatomarcelino

Hi guys... I'd like to know what is the meaning of:
1 - Max Payload Size (set 4096)
2 - TLP.

What is the function of these things?
Thank you so much!

After a bit of googling, here's what I've come up with:
  • The Max Payload Size and TLP are functions related to the PCI-Express bus
  • The PCI Express bus uses three "layers" of communication (similar to the layers in the OSI Model) -- physical, data link, and transaction.
  • The transaction layer is where all "real" communication takes place (the physical layer is the wires, and the data link layer controls/maintains the link between PCI Express devices)
  • The smallest chunk of data on the transaction layer is known as a "Transaction Layer Packet" or TLP (similarly, the smallest chunk of data on the data link layer is known as a "Data Link Layer Packet" or DLLP)
  • A TLP consists of both a header (containing packet information), a payload (containing the actual data to be transmitted), and possibly an ECRC (containing error checking info)
  • The Max Payload Size sets the maximum size of the payload that any TLP can contain. Devices must be able to recieve payloads that large, and must not send payloads any larger.

Sources:
http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2005/volume09issue01/art02_pcix_mobile/p03_pcix_architecture.htm
http://developer.intel.ru/design/chipsets/datashts/303007.pdf

Essentially what I can gather is that the Max Payload Size sets just how much actual data can be transfered within a single packet along the PCI-Express bus. Increasing the size would increase the theoretical throughput of the link (as more data would be payload rather than header/crc/etc), though does not respond as well to errors (if a single bit is incorrect, all 4096 bytes will be thrown out for retransmission). Personally I'd leave it at the highest value (should be 4096 from what I can tell) since I doubt many packets will be getting corrupted unless you're in a really electrically noisy environment.

JigPu

Back