• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800GT or 7800GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

waiownsyou

Disabled
Should I purchase a second 6800GT and use it in SLI, or should I purchase a 7800GTX?

If I purchase a 7800GTX, I might have to wait a year to get a second one, and by then, NVIDIA might have already released a DirectX10 card.

Which am I better off with (or neither)?

To be honest, based off what my card is clocking to now. I'd actually reccomend an X800PRO over both simply out of the price. Its managed to beat out my overclocked 6800U as strange as that sounds

Well there will always be something new coming out. I would say get the 7800GTX if you have the cash.

Actually after reading sents post, see if you can hold out till the new ATI cards come out. Not sure when that will be but it might be worth the wait.

inkfx said:
Well there will always be something new coming out. I would say get the 7800GTX if you have the cash.

Actually after reading sents post, see if you can hold out till the new ATI cards come out. Not sure when that will be but it might be worth the wait.
Yes I know its strange, but it is honestally faster than my 6800U was even with a measly 12 pipes, once again proving the power of fill-rates. Im curious to see how the R520 will pan out since it uses the same principal.

waiownsyou said:
Should I purchase a second 6800GT and use it in SLI, or should I purchase a 7800GTX?

If I purchase a 7800GTX, I might have to wait a year to get a second one, and by then, NVIDIA might have already released a DirectX10 card.

Which am I better off with (or neither)?

Personally, I would go with neither.

My suggestion to you? a 7800GT. Not only are these cards more powerful than the 6800U/x850XT PE, but they are also reasonably affordable. I'm sure that, with a bit of searching, you can find one for less than $400, which is in between a 6800GT or 7800GTX.

deception``

deception`` said:
Personally, I would go with neither.

My suggestion to you? a 7800GT. Not only are these cards more powerful than the 6800U/x850XT PE, but they are also reasonably affordable. I'm sure that, with a bit of searching, you can find one for less than $400, which is in between a 6800GT or 7800GTX.

deception``
I agree with you assesment but do not discount the power of a cheap PRO. In this instance a $170 one

Sentential said:
I agree with you assesment but do not discount the power of a cheap PRO. In this instance a $170 one

If you look at the OP's inquiry, he's looking for more power than an x800 Pro. Simply put, he wants 6800GT SLI or a GTX, both of which are much more powerful than your x800. I'm glad that you got a nice card, but your opinion is completely irrelevant to his topic.

deception``

Im still sticking by the giving it some time. See if you can hold out till the new ATI gpu comes out. Thats the only reason im not upgrading right now. If you dont feel like waiting grab a 7800GT like deception said, I didnt even think about that. I saw one guy post in the benchmark section of the forums on his 7800GTs in SLI, they did pretty damn good especially for the price.

inkfx said:
Im still sticking by the giving it some time. See if you can hold out till the new ATI gpu comes out. Thats the only reason im not upgrading right now. If you dont feel like waiting grab a 7800GT like deception said, I didnt even think about that. I saw one guy post in the benchmark section of the forums on his 7800GTs in SLI, they did pretty damn good especially for the price.

I, like you, have been playing the waiting game (for all too long mind you). I have been waiting for ATI's next gen only to make an informed decision regardless of whether it be ATI or NVIDIA. Nonetheless, at this point I am assuming that the R520 will competitive at best and not overwhelmingly superior. Because of this, I find that the 7800GT is an excellent card and will still perform even after ATI's much-anticipated October launch. To me, the only other thing for concern is whether or not NVIDIA's next-gen cards will drop in price following ATI's launch.

deception``

Well I think if ATI does come out with a superior card and nVidia decided to launch an Ultra version of the 7800 then yeah prices will go down. But prices have already dropped quite a bit on the 7800GTX since its release. I think the 7800GTX is about about 460 now, which is not bad at all for a card like this. The 7800GT on newegg is about 370, great price for a great card.

The 520 or whatever they've renamed it this week is not gonna compare with a 7800 card. It is a 16 pipe card, and by the time it comes out nVidia could have 3 generations of GPU's out. They are only waiting ofr ATi to come out with the next card, and then the next after that. Right now, they don't need to release any new cores because ATi has nothing that can compete with the already superior 7800 series.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the r520. It has been put off so long now, that it's already obsolete before it made it to market. There is a chance that they will scrap the entire deal. They've already lost the race, and many of their potential customers for that card have already bought the 7800 series.

As long as it's taking to get that thing out, I would be afraid of getting near it. It's obvious it has major issues. The r580 was supposed to be the next big bang for ATi, but it too is proving to be vaporware, and I suspect without the needed yeild they might very scrap it too.

I would go with a known good card. There is always going to be something better out there. The 7800 series is as good as it gets right now. It currently holds all records, and that will continue until nVidia's next release.

If you wait on ATi, you can expect seeing the 8000GTX's out by the time they ever get another card out. Cards change every 3 months.

The sad part is without ATi pushing nVidia we won't see the quick releases we were gonna see. They were actually at a place where they were helping us nVidia users, but they have lagged so far behind now, nVidia is just kicking back and watching now. It's actually a good thing to have ATi there, because they help drive nVidia to give us better and better cards even if they get beat out every time.

Last edited:
It is true that ATI is very late compared to NVIDIA's 7xxx lineup, but we do not actually know just how well/poor their offering will perform. It's probably likely that it will not bring SIGNIFICANT margins, but it is also likely that it will not be a terrible performer. Simply put, ATI's offerings will most likely be fairly competitive with the 7xxx lineup. Nonetheless, this is probably not that appropriate here so I'll leave my thoughts at that.

deception``

the 7800gt is nothing like the 6800gt hence the fact you cant soft mod the card to open the pipes up like the 6800gt getting ultra performance.if you have the extra 75$ to 100$ get the 7800gtx. get another one later, everything now is waiting for software to catch up on games and such. i have a fealing i will be happy with my 1 7800gtx card for a while.

go for the gold. just my 2cents.

Stop trying to change me to an ATI user! I hate ATI.. and I'm pretty sure I didn't get an nForce4-SLI board just so I could turn around and use ATI.

locaj said:
the 7800gt is nothing like the 6800gt hence the fact you cant soft mod the card to open the pipes up like the 6800gt getting ultra performance.if you have the extra 75$ to 100$ get the 7800gtx. get another one later, everything now is waiting for software to catch up on games and such. i have a fealing i will be happy with my 1 7800gtx card for a while.

go for the gold. just my 2cents.

I don't think my PCI-Express version of the 6800GT has any locked pipes. I checked.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure ATI has bought a 7800GTX of their own and are studying it!

inkfx said:
Well I think if ATI does come out with a superior card and nVidia decided to launch an Ultra version of the 7800 then yeah prices will go down. But prices have already dropped quite a bit on the 7800GTX since its release. I think the 7800GTX is about about 460 now, which is not bad at all for a card like this. The 7800GT on newegg is about 370, great price for a great card.

NVIDIA officially announced the cancellation of a higher-clocked "Ultra" version of the 7800.

Last edited:
if you have the money get the 7800GTX, afaik it beats out the 6800GTs in SLI.

Hi, 1st of all I would say dont go with any new card because a 6800GT is more then enough to power any app/game.
I use a FX5900XT and it powers HL2 BF2 and DooM3 on mid-high settings.
If you must take a new card, go with a 6800GT and have an SLI setup SLI 6800GT is more powerfull then 1 7800GT/X I dont recomend wating for the new ATI cards I have herd rumers that they dont even go as far as the 7800GT not to talk about the 7800GTX

Also you can just OC your current card and go to the 6800U setting that are very powerful.
Gl :santa2:

I was unsure about going up to a 7800 GTX.

However, it is the best card ever.

Playing fairly recent games, like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, I can run at 1600 x resolution with Shader 3.0 and everything maxed out. Looks and runs so amazingly.

With the 7800 gtx you can buy a 2nd at a later date and SLi them - with the SLI'd 6800s you've got what you've got and you have to sell them and start again.

I wasn't sure if paying over £400 for a GPU was the right thing to do, however, I can now say it was!!

Back