• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got about $1500.00 to spend... X2?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I'm building a gaming PC for a buddy who has no set amount, but thinks he'll stay around $1500.00 or so. He basically wants it for gaming, and wants it to look really cool. I've been suggesting higher end cases like lian li's and silverstones, with a TT or 2 thrown in, just cause I figure a good solid case is going to be something to keep when he goes to upgrade.

I'm wondering which way to go in setting this thing up.
X2 with mid range video, or a64 with higher end video. I know we can't hit the fx line with his budget, and I'm looking for upgradeability as well as something that will be kickbutt gaming for about a year or so into the future... that is why I'm thinking about perhaps an X2. I've read that multi-threaded games are going to be out in the next year or so.

Lemme know what you guys think, as well as any deals you know of..
As always, your input is invaluable and incredibly appreciated!!!!

yo4444 said:
X2 with mid range video, or a64 with higher end video.

For a gaming rig you definatly want the a64 with the higher end video. X2s give you an advantage with multitasking. If your friend wants to run other programs in the background while gaming the X2 will help. If all you are concerned with is gaming the a64 with a better video card will blow an X2 with a mid range video card out of the water.

X2 with mid range video, or a64 with higher end video. I know we can't hit the fx line with his budget, and I'm looking for upgradeability as well as something that will be kickbutt gaming for about a year or so into the future...
If youre looking at upgradeability go with an a64 and a higher end card. This way you can upgrade to an X2 later and keep more current. And with video cards there is always going to be something faster coming out.

Well if you are not going dual core I suggest taking your chances with a 3000+ or 3200+. I don't believe that the extra cache is worth...the extra cash. Many have gotten good results...for example I have ran stable at 2.8 gHz with stock cooler. Just my 2 cents.

As for cases, while I'm partial to lian li....I would reccomend you pick up a cheap Antec case, they still look nice and that way you can put the extra $100 or so dollars in to good psu or something else

Well if you are not going dual core I suggest taking your chances with a 3000+ or 3200+. I don't believe that the extra cache is worth...the extra cash.
LOL! Best sentence ever!
But seriously, its true as well.

jpersinger said:
Well if you are not going dual core I suggest taking your chances with a 3000+ or 3200+. I don't believe that the extra cache is worth...the extra cash. Many have gotten good results...for example I have ran stable at 2.8 gHz with stock cooler. Just my 2 cents.

But with a 4000+ he can clock higher right?

In reply to original poster
This is the build I have been trying to piece together for around that much. Change what you will this is just an idea for you.

CPU - AMD 64 4000+ $368.00
MB - DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR $172.00
PSU - Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply $114.00
MEMORY - Mushkin 991434 2GB Kit DDR400 $289.00
GPU - XFX GeForce 6800 GT $289.99
Sound - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value $49.99
HD - Wester Digital Raptor 74GB SATA150 $169.00

Total $1451.98

I thought so as well.

As for the PC, perhaps you should make clear what components you will need to be purchasing. If you are building an entire comp. from scratch, I think you will find that the desired budget will not take you as far as you desire as a higher end X2 or FX will set you back a significant portion of the allotted budget.

As for cases, I vote CM Stacker.

EDIT: Of course this will be dependent upon what other components you will be needing as the Stacker is the better part of $200 with shipping.

I didn't know the 4000+ goes for $368.00. While it will most likely clock higher, the gains are marginal when utilizing air cooling.

Last edited:
Then the gains would not be so marginal I suppose...however...budget. If we take your current proposal and add the cost of a decent water cooling setup, case, monitor (whether CRT or lcd), speakers if necessary, peripherals, case fans, surge protector or UPS, optical drive, cables, operating system, and any other intangibles it can clearly be seen that we are well exceeding the original budget.

yo4444, let us know what you must obtain with this budget, whether it be partial system build or complete. AS I stated previously, you will find that when building from scratch the actual cost will be much more than the apparent cost.

Sorry...I was asking that question about water cooling for myself.

Yo4444,
Are you going to be using parts out of an old computer? Like CDROM, HD, and the such or are you going ground up and you need every little thing? The prices that I listed were around your figures because I was going to reuse some things that I already have.

The guy I'm building it for will not be doing any overclocking, unless he lets me play with it a bit, so steppings, Ocability is not a factor at all. I am looking for stock performance.

I will also be building this from scratch, optical drives and all, but he's not stuk on that budget yet either. He may go more... I think it'll be easy to talk him into a little more.

CarRamrod said:
But with a 4000+ he can clock higher right?

In reply to original poster
This is the build I have been trying to piece together for around that much. Change what you will this is just an idea for you.

CPU - AMD 64 4000+ $368.00
GPU - XFX GeForce 6800 GT $289.99

Total $1451.98
CPU - AMD 64 3700+ $289.00
Could probably get cheaper OCZ for around $240-250
GPU - MSI GF 7800GT ($348 after MIR)
Or the Maxtor DiamondMax 10 16MB ~250-300GB

The advice seems to be to stay away from the X2's despite multi threaded games being projected for next year and go for a heavy hitter in the vid card arena.

These setups look good, with a case and a couple of drives they will be just about $1600 or so. I'll post back with what I get, but if there are any more suggestions and deals you have, be sure to let me know!!

As usual, the members here come through quickly and consisely when needed!!

I would go with a 3200+, a non-SLI board, different PSU (Seasonic, OCZ, Fortron), 1 gig OCZ value ram, 7800GTX, and Hitachi Deskstar T7K250.

Even if he doesn't plan on overclocking you can modestly oc to 2.4-2.6 gHz for him.

TheCoolest said:
GPU - MSI GF 7800GT ($348 after MIR)

Just FYI, that is a 128MB card.

Here is an important question for your friend, what kind of monitor is he planning on using? Does he already have opne in his possession or is he gonna go with something new?

Back