• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer not rebooting, dfi board beeping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s14

Registered
Hi all,

Most times when i reboot my computer it doesn't reboot. Instead there is no blue power light on the case, no red light flashing for hdd activity and the lights on my monitors flash on and off.

The computer sounds like it's runnning though. To remedy this problem i have to shut it off completely, switch it off at the back, switch it on again and power up. This generally fixes it. If i just power off and on it will give me the same problem. i have to flick the switch on and off.

Any ideas? i have an x2 4400+ with a dfi nf4 ultra d board. If it means anything the computer sometimes beeps 2 long beeps before the initial reboot beep when it posts.

Thanks

First off it might be your PSU and second check the Phoenix Award beed code to see what the two beeps mean. It's not hard to find you can do a google search.

hi i checked the phoenix award code and 2 beeps seem to be bad memory. If you remember i had a lot of problems with my ocz memory in the other thread. the ocz ram is currently being tested and i have my old ram - 1gb twinmos in my machine at the moment. memtest shows no errors on this ram so this is a bit weird.

Everytime i reboot my computer it doesn't reboot and the monitors just flash. i have to hit the reset button then the power button and then it will come right. PSU u reckon? how could i test it? it's an ocz powerstream 520w.

Man i've had so many problems with my computer since i have got it :)

Well since it's Powerstream 520W I highly doubt that it's casing a problem.

Did you make sure that you connected all four power connectors to your mobo?

hi again,

i actually didn't build the pc, just ordered all the parts and the place i got it from built it all for me.

I've noticed that when i reboot and nothing shows up (no initial beep or anything, and the monitors just flash) that if i hit the reset button 3 times, it comes right also and carries on it's merry way.

What's up with this? could the motherboard be faulty? Is this why i have been having so many problems with ram also? the dimm slots or something could be faulty?

hmmm...

Anything is possible. The best thing would be if you could test it in another mobo cause I seen lot's of people that have good mobo and one or two of their onboard DIMMS go bad.

Last edited:
You should send it back and let the store who built it fix it for you.
You have warranty for it right.

yeah i'll probably end up sending the motherboard back to them. I'm trying not to because i have a lot of work to do and they reckon 1 week for them to test it. 1 week is too long for me :(

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can motherboards make ram go faulty?

The reason i ask is that i sent my ocz ram away to get tested (because i was getting 20,000+ errors in memtest, random reboots + bsod's) and they have finally said one of the sticks is faulty. At the moment i have my old ram in my new pc (1gb twinmos pc3200) and i'm still having the same problems with my computer rebooting. Only a few times so far, but warranting a concern.

So i'm thinking that because i'm still having computer troubles (computer not rebooting properly and rebooting from windows every so often + blue screens) and i have my old ram in it which showed up no errors in memtest86+, that the motherboard must be the problem and is somehow screwing the ram?

The last thing i want is my ocz ram to come back (2 week wait btw :bang head ) and having the same problems, because i was too ignorant to go to the main source of the problem. Then i'll have more faulty ram and a fault mb still.

Any ideas?

2. Is there anyway i can test the motherboard myself to make sure it's not faulty without sending it in? if it's faulty i will send it but i really can't go a week without doing work.

thanks guys :)

I have a similar problem with my ultra-d. The system is incapable of booting unless the cmos has just been cleared. I can't even change any bios settings. I contacted DFI and they said this is a problem they have had before, and there is no known fix. So, I am going to rma it.

kswaid said:
I have a similar problem with my ultra-d. The system is incapable of booting unless the cmos has just been cleared. I can't even change any bios settings. I contacted DFI and they said this is a problem they have had before, and there is no known fix. So, I am going to rma it.

Yes very similar to mine, so frustrating, except i don't have to clear my cmos and i can still change bios settings. Sometimes all i have to do is hit the reset button and it will load up fine, other times i'll have to hit reset 2,3 or 4 times to get the damn thing to boot up. :bang head

are you going to get another board the same and try your luck or are you going to switch?

Back