• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm in quite a fix here...HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vyncennt

Registered
I just installed a Asus P3V4X motherboard into a new case, along with all the other goodies (RAM, CPU, blah blah blah)

After getting everything bolted down, wired, and making sure it was all wired right I plugged everything into the back and lastly plugged in the power cord

I got no power at all (no fans, no lights, no nothing) but what I DID get was a high pitched whine from the PSU.

If I unplug the PSU from the board and just plug it into the wall, I get no sound at all. It only gives me that whine when I plug it into the board

Dont know if this matters, but if I leave the PSU plugged into the mobo, and pull the pwercord out the whine tapers off in about 5 seconds

Any ideas?

THanks,

Cris

Is the power supply new? Also, check to see if the input voltage switch is set to 115v.

I believe you can test the power supply alone by connecting a wire between two pins on the 20pin connector. Good luck.

Lou.

for starters, disconnect the PSU from other devices in your PC, as well as disconnecting the ATX power connector from the board. maybe just leave a fan connected via molex. Also, ensure the PSU is not plugged into the wall.

now, if you look at the ATX power connector, you'll see a green wire, there's only 1.

take a paper clip, straighten it, and use it to connect the green wire pin to a black wire (ground).

ensure that the paperclip is not touching anything else metal. You also don't want to be touching the paperclip, as the PSU will go live when power is applied.

now plug the power cable from the wall into the PSU.

does the PSU power on?

I did exactly what you said, and the powersupply turned on (and also the case fan that I left connected)

This is a brand new PSU, since I wasnt sure if my old one was ok or not.

Motherboard still gets no power when the brand new one is plugged in though

Vyncennt said:
I did exactly what you said, and the powersupply turned on (and also the case fan that I left connected)

This is a brand new PSU, since I wasnt sure if my old one was ok or not.

Motherboard still gets no power when the brand new one is plugged in though

Your mother board to case mounting hardware may be shorting.

Try removing all the case mounting screws from the mother board and then isolate the board to prevent it from touching the stands that support the mb. You can use cardboard if necessary--or my favorite is to totally remove the MB and place it in the asus shipping box. Reinstall the PS connectors and the wires that the case has, mostly the pwr on. Then start the computer to see what happens.

You do not have to have all the cards installed at this time, I normally test using just the video card.

Thanks for geting back to me so quickly...give me a few to unmount it and get it back in its box (Im good at following instructions to the T =))

Will repost as soon as I get something...or nothing....lol

Ok...you guys were RIGHT!

Board fired right up when we took it outta the case....

...but....

How do I stop it from doing that IN the case?

Is there some trick?

Vyncennt said:
Ok...you guys were RIGHT!

Board fired right up when we took it outta the case....

...but....

How do I stop it from doing that IN the case?

Is there some trick?

Basically, you need to keep the screws/case stands from shorting out on the mb.

I normally look at the case stands and then the places were they touch the mb. If the stand is larger in diameter than the shiny round pad, you can either use a plastic washer or just remove the stand from the case. Also make sure there are no extra stands that are poking at weird places on the mb. It can happen so watch for it.

Then I look at the screws as I am installing them and make sure that they are not overlapping the diameter of the shiny round pad on the mb. If so, use a smaller diameter screw or just leave it out.

The little plastic washers can help if you have some, if not, you can make some from a plastic milk carton (but it is a pita.) I find it is easier to just eliminate the offending screw/stand.

Another thing you can do is to put the mb into the case and install maybe 3 screws then turn the computer on. If it boots, install a couple more screws. If it doesn't, remove a couple and place them in a different location. Eventually through trial and error (not the best way) you will figure out which stands/screws are making contact.

WARNING-----IF YOU TRY THE LAST METHOD, BE SURE TO UNPLUG THE COMPUTER EACH AND EVERY TIME AFTER YOU TRY IT AND ESPECIALLY BEFORE YOU TRY TO INSTALL OR REMOVE A SCREW. :bang head

Last edited:
Ok..I used peices of plastic and whatnot, and shes up and running =))

Thanks everyone for pulling my arse outta the fire....shes runs flawlessly =)

*waves*

Cris

Back