• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS 9800XT Gettoed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlabamaCajun

2 weeks ago the fans on my ASUS 9800XT stoped. I just happened to notice the Asus SmartDoctor running and the fans reported 0 speed. The temps were aroung 60 idle and rising, I immediatly cracked the case and plugged in an 80mm fan to get the temps down. I thought that I had uninstalled SmartDoctor but for some reason it was still installed. Luck would have it, this persistant program saved a $430 card.
I tried all the tricks I knew to restart the fans but had no luck. I had planned to get a replacement sink for it in the future but not yet. A friend said to put a 92mm fan plowing on the card but it rose quickly to 52C idle and 58C gaming. I though about it during last week and decided I would not return it for warranty since I might get a card that has problems and then have to deal with BS trying to get that one replaced. This card has served well and I was not giving it up for fan problems when I could just put on the heatsink I wanted in the first place. The fans are OK but the controller is not supplying power so connecting an aftermarket fan is not an option.
Getto Time. After examining the ASUS setup, turns out to be more bling than blast (away heat). It has a single heatpipe radiating out to two sinks above the ram. I decided to add a large NB sink to the spot right over the GPU and position a 92mm fan blowing in right onto the card. Temps are now 47 idle and about 55 running FutureMark03. Gaming temps should be around the same. Next I want to build a duct forcing air out.
R9800XT.jpg

When I took the getto pics, I had planed to put a small fan on the sink but later decided to go with a 92 and later the duct mod.

Yuriman said:
Can you post some pictures from different angles?
It's in-rig at the point but I'll see if I can get one on macro from the side this weekend baring no hurricane surprises.

Back