• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dremel sanding an aluminum side panel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gtrdude485

Registered
So i modded my side panel to fit 2 80mm's over my ram and then a 120mm over my pci slots but am looking for an attachment to sand the holes. I tried using the hollow canvas type included with the dremel but those tear up in no time. I have the fiberglass reinforced discs but couldnt find the same for sanding. Any suggestions?

yea i woudl just prefer something quick because i cut my holes pretty accurately

A half-round hand file, a deburring tool, and some sandpaper.

I highly recommend everyone who mods have a deburring tool in their toolbox. It breaks the sharp edges as well as remove any metal burrs left around the edges of drilled or cut holes and give your cuts and holes a clean uniform look They only cost a few dollars and pay for themselves the first time you use it.

Susquehannock said:
Do you have a sanding drum* for your Dremel? That would be a quick & easy way to clean up your holes.

I think that is what he was describing in his post

"I tried using the hollow canvas type included with the dremel but those tear up in no time"

I use these myself as the last step to finish sand the hole.

yea the sanding drum's actual little sandpaper things that are replaceable get chewed up in no time though

gtrdude485 said:
yea the sanding drum's actual little sandpaper things that are replaceable get chewed up in no time though

If you are indeed accurate with your hole cutting and dont' need to file then just get a deburring tool. I deburr and clean my holes in a matter of seconds.

You can use the dremel grinding wheel. It is about 1" wide and works great for smoothing surfaces that were just cut. I would still get yourself a half round file though.

Back