• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving up to NF4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilAerosolCan

I'm upgrading to NF4 and I'm not sure which board to get. I don't need sli, although if the best board has it, that's cool. I'm looking at DFI, MSI, and Epox. I'm wondering which board will provide the highest overclock. All the other stuff in my sig will be used, except for the vid card.

The DFI is the best NF4 overclocker. It has every control known to man and a few more. All these bios settings do tend to make it confusing, but once mastered it is the best. The Epox is second and is much simpler and more straight forward. MSI boards are hit and miss with a lot that miss so I would advise you stay away from them. There is also a new ULI based board from ASRock that takes agp or pci-e video cards that is an interesting alternative to NF4. The ATI crossfire boards should also be out soon as well. Good luck with whatever you pick.

What he said.

DFI-Best OCer because of high vcore and vdimm, and OC friendly bios, but requires troubleshooting and tweaking for it to work right.

Epox-Second best OCer, more stable with less problems and simpler to use then the DFI

MSI-Usually good boards for video/sound encoding, sometimes on certain occasions it OCs well, but most of the time people are unlucky.

An excellent choice. I recently made the same migration and after trying to flog two different NF3 Ultra-D boards into performing up to my expectations, the DFI Lanparty Ultra NF4D, has exceeded all my expectations. In my case, after finding the right ram, it did not take a guzzillion permutations of different bios settings to get there either.

Hoot

EvilAerosolCan said:
Hey Hoot, I'm about to have the same RAM as you. Which BIOS are you running to get those speeds?

As my signature says, I'm using the 704-3 bios, which really agrees with my Ballistix. There is one caveat about that particular bios. You don't want to set the CPU VID Special Control above 110% as it might damage your CPU.

Hoot

I'm trying one of these since DFI nF4's don't like my RAM (Hynix-based). (Now that I think of it this one'll be for sale soon)

Back