• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i be ****ed??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok well i just switched from Verizon DSL to Cavalier (had a nice promo going on), and today the service officially switched over to Cavalier.... well i went from about 1.4mbs d/l (test on dslreports) to about 178kbs (again on same server on dslreports.com). I know DSL/Cable companies don't guarantee speeds they claim, but i mean i am on the same phone line and lost aobut 80% of my speed.

Does this sound right? Should i call them to see if something is messed up on my line? Or is there anything i can do to tweak the speed??

Did you check your CO distance? This has a big impact on speeds and ping times. On DSL reports, check your distance and hit the map button for the node.

I always wanted to live next to a CO and not have a cap. That would be sweet.

I just switched over from verizon where i was getting 1.4mbs download rates. I am pretty sure Cavaleir runs off verizon lines here. Cause when i ordered, i asked what around my speeds would be.... they said "same as verizons"...

**EDIT

I called them and they got my speed up to around 5-600kbs download. I even used cavaliers private speed test and got 360ish KBS. Still no where close to what i JUST had with Verizon.

BTW I can't find where on dslreports to check the distance to the node.... any help on this would be great.

Last edited:
Ok just used the distance checker and its about 10,700ft. Sounds kinda far to me....

stang8118 said:
Ok just used the distance checker and its about 10,700ft. Sounds kinda far to me....
That's right at 2 miles, you should be getting some very nice speeds. :eh?:

My question is: If I live right next door to the CO, how much faster/ better ping could I expect vs. living 10k feet away? I suspect it would be significant.

I'm guessing this is DSL, if so there is a 10 day period that you need to wait as your modem syncs. Speeds increase throughout that time, and at the end of the 10 days you will have reached your max speed you will get.

I've heard a lot of people saying the same thing as you are, blaming it on DSL in general. I guess none of your modems came with the warning that 10 days is required to sync with DSL.

Back