• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaptainObviousX

My first build (please move to genral)

hey all i am a newb and my frined told me to join this forums so i did.

In a few weeks i am going to be building this computer and i just wanted some opinions on it.

Antec super lan boy case
Forton 400w psu
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Radeon X800
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Seagate Barracuda 250GB (SATA)

oh and budget is a big deal for me

Last edited:
I'd go with the AX450-PN instead, but the rest looks good to me. The AX400-PN is actually a 350w being made to look like a 400w, whereas the AX450-PN really is a 400w unit (confusing, I know).

Welcome aboard Captain :)

Well now i want the blue storm 400w because that would look so hot in my antec super lan boy case

The AX450-PN is actually an updated version of the Blue Storm 400w. Only big difference is the addition of a PCI-E connector, and perhaps some minor tweaking to the protection on the 12v rails to allow the chance one or the other can hit 18A while still having a 29A combined max limit. May not be too long before the Blue Storm line is discontinued.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
The AX450-PN is actually an updated version of the Blue Storm 400w. Only big difference is the addition of a PCI-E connector, and perhaps some minor tweaking to the protection on the 12v rails to allow the chance one or the other can hit 18A while still having a 29A combined max limit. May not be too long before the Blue Storm line is discontinued.

Thats confusing the 400 is a 350 masked as a 400. The blue 400 is a 400. the 400 masked as a 450 is a slight upgrade of the real 400. whew :-/ they should hook up with AMD for a while, they'd be good friends.

bert202 said:
Thats confusing the 400 is a 350 masked as a 400.

Yep, not to mention irritating. Hope they stop the trend of trying to cash in on their reputation for underrating soon.

For reference:

AX500-A = 460w
AX450-PN (aka ATX400-PN) = 400w
AX400-PN (aka ATX350-PN) = 350w

To make things worse, Fortron is releasing a flood of new PSU's. Visited their newly redesigned site yesterday, and had a headache within about five minutes. To their EPS server offerings alone they added 4 quad 12v models ranging from 550w to 700w. All four are rated at 4x15A, probably with varying combined maximum limits.

darksparkz said:
Great choices.

I'd go for nVIDIA video card though, but that's just me being biased.
Yeah i was planning on it, but zip zoom fly has a x800 for $120 and i dont wasnt to pass that deal up.

looks like a good setup

you might want to get more ram (1.5/2 ?-- granted you can always upgrade that later ) if you plan on playing games like Bf2, or in anticipation of newer games

i am guessing you are going with 2x512 MB -- for dual channel?
my advice; don't

when i built my rig i put in 2x256MB of ram (leaving me with 1 slot) well long story short when i wanted to upgrade to a gig, i ended up having to junk the 2x256 and get 2x512 instead

if i were you i could get 1x1GB , then in the future ifyou need more ram, you can easily go dual-channel 2x1GB

Back