• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seanohue

Ok I feel dumb for asking a RAID question like this: I have a 80gb and a 200gb drive and I want them to show as 280gb. But RAID 0 only allows drives of the exact same size, model, and manufacturer right? So what RAID function would I use to get this to work?

THe only RAID "function" that you can use to make a 280GB single HDD out of your 80GB and 200GB drive is JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). Almost all low end RAID adapters support it.

It is not the best RAID solution (if you can even call it a RAID solution) because it simply joins the drives together in sequential order. Example being that if the 80GB was your first drive and the 200GB was your second drive, the controller would fill up your 80GB first then spill over anything that doesnt fit on the 80 to the 200. There is NO performance advantages to this setup and it is just as insecure (data wise) as a RAID 0.

Basiclly I would only recommend this solution if you HAVE to have lots of unmatched sized HDDs and you want to make a usefull (unsafe) data store out of them.

160 gb is close though...
although not reccomended to use different type drives you can always try !!
i doubt your os will last long ...

Back