• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M2 socket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pf.Farnsworth

So whats the future of the M2 socket? The dual core FX's will be on it, but after they will push out the dual core FX line is there any future for the M2 socket or will AMD be done with it and move on making another one for whatever will follow?

it will be the same as 754 and 939 and every socket..

it will come then it will stay and then it will go away, and a new one will come after,

Well sometime in 2007 AMD will adopt DDR3, that means new CPUs and probably new socket.

The Coolest said:
Well sometime in 2007 AMD will adopt DDR3, that means new CPUs and probably new socket.

I highly doubt they're going to release new CPUs and sockets to support DDR2 in 2006, and then move to DDR3 in 2007. Do you have a legit source for this?

I can't remember precisely, but there was a slide show somewhere, about what AMD's going to do in the future, and it said DDR3 in 2007, there were several articles on the front page about those slide shows

From my understanding, socket M2 will replace both s939 and s754, the socket change it just necessary to acomodate DDR2 and AMD has been avoiding the switch for a while, but afaik that is it, some websites have mentioned that AMD might be planning to include a pci-e controller some time afterwards because they think that the increased amount of pins is too alot just for DDR2 support, now I have no idea about that, I'm don't understand the pinnage of things.

:) as well as Socket A? :p

Avg said:
From my understanding, socket M2 will replace both s939 and s754.

Socket M2 will really only be taking foothold toward 2007.

So having a brand new follow up DDR3 chipset incompatible with Socket M2 in 2007 would make little marketing sense, after all Socket 939 came out almost two full years after Socket 754.

September 2005 is a great time to buy an affordable single core system.

c627627 said:
:) as well as Socket A? :p

Socket M2 will really only be taking foothold toward 2007.

So having a brand new follow up DDR3 chipset incompatible with Socket M2 in 2007 would make little marketing sense, after all Socket 939 came out almost two full years after Socket 754.

September 2005 is a great time to buy an affordable single core system.

Almost 2 years for socket 939? I don't think so. Socket 939 came out late 04. 754 came out 1 year before that. Also socket 940 gets shoved into the game there with 754.

You're right, they were not almost two years apart.

Man wouldn't that be something, if they come out out with a new Socket so soon after M2, I still see it as a "2008 thing" if it happens, which we don't know it will.

Maybe (hopefully) Socket M2 will be compatible with DDR3? Or they postpone the release of DDR3 supporting chips and chipsets?

heh I am waiting on the dual core FX's and the M2 socket for my upgrade, I hope that socket will last for a while :p

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Lets hope it comes out soon, I wanna see some competition w/ the Presler / Cedar Mills / Conroes ..

From what I've been hearing the only thing they are doing is to add the DDR2 support, and maybe just maybe make the pipeline a little longer to increase clockspeed I heard that a long time ago but never again so I'm not sure.

I heard it gives more bandwidth for something, because I heard they cut back on bandwidth on the X2s because the skt939 didn't have enough room for it. I duno what kinda bandwidth though, some article on AnAndtech.

Well, let's hope it actually has a pretty big benefit over skt939s. Because skt754 and skt939 didn't have a BIG difference in performance, the only thing was new cores with new revisions and addition of PCI-E to skt939.

darksparkz said:
I heard it gives more bandwidth for something, because I heard they cut back on bandwidth on the X2s because the skt939 didn't have enough room for it. I duno what kinda bandwidth though, some article on AnAndtech.

Well, let's hope it actually has a pretty big benefit over skt939s. Because skt754 and skt939 didn't have a BIG difference in performance, the only thing was new cores with new revisions and addition of PCI-E to skt939.

Actually, DDR2 by itself is supposed to provide more bandwitdh, according to AMD DDR1 was more then enough for single core chips but with dual core's arrival the bandwitdh that once was for just one chip now has to feed two chips, and DDR2 should provide the extra bandwitdh for dual core chips. I just hope that is not all they are doing because if all goes as Intel plans, by the end of next year they are going to have some nice new chips out.

c627627 said:
:)September 2005 is a great time to buy an affordable single core system.

October 12th will be a great time to buy an affordable single core system.(opty 939's :D )

who here would love to see things return the way they were, no fsb x multi, just 3500 x 1, lol

The Coolest is correct to say AMD have stated DDR2 in 2006 and DDR3 in 2007 (there is also mention of FBDIMM, FBD2 and DDR4 in the future) this was detailed in the Analyst Day Presentations in June this year by Marty Seyer.
The problem AMD have is the possible timing of introduction of DDR3. It is expected to be released beginning 2007 that would mean a major headache for AMD if they transitioned to DDR2 sometime in 2006 and DDR3 comes along as is shown to be a major improvement. (Speculation is for DDR2 to hit 800MHz on 5-5-5 by end of this year and for DDR3 to scale to twice that).

Edit the other thing I forgot to mention - if AMD uses FBDIMM DDR2 I think it may be possible to transition to DDR3 without changing the platform as with FBDIMMs the part the memory controller "talks" to stays constant - so the issue becomes redundant. This admittedly is up for debate as I am not 100% certain about this.

Last edited:
Back