• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800K should be faster ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

i got an 800K broadband line. my download speeds are around 56k.I have not seen faster. shouldnt it be faster ? and overall, if i have 800k line, shouldnt my 800k line get 800k downloads.

WaTTz said:
i got an 800K broadband line. my download speeds are around 56k.I have not seen faster. shouldnt it be faster ? and overall, if i have 800k line, shouldnt my 800k line get 800k downloads.

Hi.

Your 800K line is 800Kilobits (1024 bits = 1 Kilobit) download.

To translate this into kilobytes, you divide by 8 which gives 100 Kilobytes per second (the usual standard for measuring the likes of file size).

However, just because you can download at X speed, doesn't mean the server at the other end can supply the data at that speed. You are limited by the slowest component.

if you broadband isp offeres 800kbps bandwidth to you then you transfer speed won't be higher 100kbps. Usually download speeds aren't aren't higher than 10% to 15% of total bandwidth provided.

is dial up as in 56K measured in kbps or is it in KB? Ive always wondered

Kill_A._Byte said:
Please excuse my interuption and ignorance.
I have recently gotten a DSL line connecting at 100.0 Mbps. My dial up used to connect at 48.8kbps. So am I connecting at 100,000 kbps? or 10,000kbps? or... :eh?:

you are not connecting to the internet at that speed, that is just the connection between your computer and your modem, or your computer and your router. And it is 100 Megabits per second, or 1,000,000 bits per second.

also to point out a small mistake in David's post, 1024 bits is not 1 Kilobit, it is 1.024 kilobits. You are thinking of bytes, 1024 bytes is equal to 1 kilobyte. I'm sure you know this though haha :p

meionm said:
Usually download speeds aren't aren't higher than 10% to 15% of total bandwidth provided.
I hope that was a really big typo and you ment to write "usually download speeds aren't highter than 85-90 % of total bandwith provided".
This because mainly because of overhead in the protocoll afaik.

If you aren't getting more than 10-15% dl speed of your maximum either something is seriously wrong or you have some NAT work to do in your modem/router. (This if your slow speeds are in p2p programs like DC or torrent clients)

Kill_A._Byte : DSL (A, D & V) are technicaly better than cable afaik.

Last edited:
Back