• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venice 3500 OC problems..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frosty18

Ok, I had numerous problems with my old setup so decided for a fairly cheap and easy fix. I trashed my P4 2.4 and IS7 mobo and went out and purchased a Venice 3500 and an MSI K8N Neo2. It runs much better, but of course I would still like to overclock it.

The Setup
MSI K8N Neo2 Nforce3
Venice 3500
Corsair PC3200 in Dual Channel
Antec 350w PSU (My guess is this or the ram is the problem)
Here is the problem.. It comes factory at 2.2ghz as most of you know, using 200 Cpu bus and a multipler of 11 with the HTT at 5x. I would love to be able to just up the multiplier since my mobo manual says it has multipliers from 4x-20x, but it actually only has up to 11x.. weird. No biggie right? I can just up the CPU Bus. Wrong, Even if I lower the HTT multiplier I cannot up the CPU Bus to > 205. I know it is not the processor because I've tried using a 10x Multiplier @205 and still no dice.

Through experimenting I decided to De-Clock my ram to 166mhz (333 after being pumped) and It posts perfectly fine Using a CPU Bus of 250, HTT of 4x and CPU multiplier of 10x. Making it 2.5ghz. Why on earth do I have to de-clock my ram for it to run? Is there simply not enough Power? Is my ram faulty? Please Help!

If this is a socket 754, then its single channel memory. Some boards (including my older Gigabyte K8NS Pro 250) do not run two sticks of memory @ 200MHz (DDR400). If you want to see if this is the problem, remove 1 stick and attempt to OC and boot at 200MHz ram with a 1:1 ratio.

If this is not 754, then look up the board specifications. Some boards will tell you that when using two sticks, even in dual channel, and if double sided dimms, the 166 ratio must be used.

It is a socket 939, I forgot to mention it is the 'ultra' versino of the board if that makes a difference. It also correctly detects it as 1gb in Dual Channel. I also checked the mobo book and it says it supports up to DDR533 in dual channel.

My guess is the Antec 350w psu. You're starving the mobo of voltage. Have you run memtest on the ram? Another thing are you at least giving the cpu some more voltage?

yup...need a more modern powersupply. i would never run any kind of A64 on less than 400w.

I haven't run memtest, any tips on where to get it? I've actually done a slight amount of searching through the forums before. I didn't have much luck though.

I did try upping the voltage to 1.55 on the CPU. With it on auto CPU-Z reads it running at 1.34V. <--- Is that too low?

Back