• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage fluctuations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIG_E

Registered
hi

when i monitor my voltages in cpu-z i notice that they fluctuate a bit. I have been trying to get my system to OC but I'm having problems. So i noticed that the voltage fluctuates when I increase the voltage, it goes from 1.48 - 1.68 back and forth, and it's the same when i drop them, only the numbers r different of course. Bad power supply??

Should the voltage fluctuate like this or not?? I have a X-connect 500 20 pin which i here isn't so good with DFI boards even with the 20-24 pin adapter.

any help would be appreciated

DFI says no adapters. A native 24 pin. Anyway to check your rails with a volt meter? My software was showing fluctuations but my rails never moved. Check the 12V and 5V through a molex and see if they change much at all. I have also heard that some other had problems with X-connect supplies as well as certain antec psu's. You will probably not get a good stable oc with that psu.

Just a little warning so you know..If that psu goes out, it can take the entire system with it. motherboard, cpu, and ram. As well as other cards/drives. I speak from a very expensive experience there.

I checked the rails they seem fine, no movement. I think I will invest in a better psu so i can OC, and im sure a native 24 pin will be better for my system. Probably go with Enermax 535, seems like a good psu.

Thanks for the help

that is a highly recommended psu from my friends. 4 of my friends have it and love it. 2 of us are running ocz 600w and 3 more are running ocz 520w.

OCZ powerstreams I hope, also the 520w powerstream is better than the 600w powerstream. Also if you haven't been checking your psu with a multimeter then you really can't know for sure since the software is innacurate. I'd still get a new Psu because the x-connect is not good. (any psu you can buy for $20 is not good for OCin). I'd get at least a fortron ax-500w if you have a budget. Should run you under $80... dunno if they have em in canada. (ontario canada?)

Back