• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 routers, Now how do make them file share.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

I have two routers, I figured how to make them work but now I want file share. I got a pic of my setup below. I check log on second router and it's blocking connection from any computers connected to the first router. I tried running dmz on the second router too. it didn't help.

Attachments

• piccccc.JPG
    piccccc.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 89
Do you need to be running DHCP on both routers? If not disabling it on the second one would easily allow you to access everything on the network.

Otherwise you will need to open up some holes that allow internal network traffic to flow freely between them. I believe that in most consumer routers they will basically just drop any packets that are not requested by a computer, and not on the same subnet.

Disable DHCP on router#2, and plug the UTP cable coming from router#1 into a regular port on router#2 (NOT the WAN or internet port!) so it is acting like a switch. That way it should work...

Lancelot said:
Disable DHCP on router#2, and plug the UTP cable coming from router#1 into a regular port on router#2 (NOT the WAN or internet port!) so it is acting like a switch. That way it should work...

This is how to do it. You also want to change the ip you use to access the web app of the second router so that you can access both routers web apps.

This basically turns the second router into just a switch.

Back