• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Based on these results, what appears to be wrong with my SATA II drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stkkts

Ok, I have this board http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813123236 EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

I have this hd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145087 HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 0A31636 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

After running some benchmark tests though, it would appear the hd isnt runing at sata II.

test.jpg

Those are the results. My burst speed is only 133, slower than sata 150. So its either running in P-ata mode, which isnt possible I dont think because it is hooked up to the SATA connectors. Or its in SATA 150 mode.

What can I do to correct the problem?

Just because the interface is rated at 3.0GB/s does not mean your drive is that fast. SATA2 is more of a marketing thing then anything else.

^^^^ exactly

Current harddrive mechanic's do not allow for speed of 3/g a sec - they "physically" can not transfer data that fast.

the only advanatge right now of SATA II or I is thing like NCQ and other features being added to it, but not pure transfer speed.

put 2 identical HD' togeter one in SATA II and one in SATA I - they will perform identical in speeds.

thanks for the help. I got the boot tools from hitachis website and ran it. I switched it over to sata 3g, did the hd tach again and the burst speed went up to 244, but everything else, including average read speed stayed exactly the same.

very very nice

i need to redo my raid set up dual 18k 15k RPM drive i set the stripe to 32k but only getting 66MB :(

now if they could get the 244 to stay continous :D

stkkts said:
thanks for the help. I got the boot tools from hitachis website and ran it. I switched it over to sata 3g, did the hd tach again and the burst speed went up to 244, but everything else, including average read speed stayed exactly the same.
In your situation, I'd certainly set the drive to SATAII mode, but as you've touched on it isn't going to amount to much in practice. The real tests are done with a stopwatch, and I think you will find that the increased burst transfer rate rarely affects them.

Back