• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer not turning on is this the psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanD911

Hey guys for some reason I just woke up and my computer wont turn on at all. I have an ocz powerstream 500w psu

also my system has as follows

a64 3200+ winchester
1.5 gigs of TCCD ram
dfi lanparty ultra-d mobo moded to sli spec
2x 6000gt video cards running in SLI.
sound blaster audigy 2
fan controller controlling 2x tornados and 2x 90mm fans
2x 90mm fans
watercooling pump
2x cd-r drives
160gig harddrive

Could this possibly be the power supply being dead? if so how did the thing die so quickly ive had it for less than a year, and if so which psu should i get as a replacement

i have not tried any troubleshooting. I dont know how to troubleshoot for a faulty power supply. It is so strange because this morning it was working great and i normally just leave my computer on standby. But for some reason I just pressed the power button and the computer did not turn on at all. it is very strange. is this a sign of a broken psu

Remove the ATX connector and short the green and a black wire together. This should turn the PSU on. If it doesn't, the PSU is bad. If it does turn on, try doing the same with the ATX connector plugged in. If it works, it's some kind of problem with the motherboard or power switch. If it doesn't work, than the PSU is bad.

I've done this trick to many PSU's as I use them for other things besides power a computer. It turns out that they are very cheap alternatives to 12 and 5 volt supplies when used. I use close to 200 amps of +12 from many PSU's for my Linear Induction Motor experiment. I had a bad Power FET (Mosfet) and it blew up. Half of it blew off so hard it put a dent in the wall of the enclosure. The LIM it was firing was .13 ohms. At the time there was very little impedance.

rarely hear a powerstream 520 going down but i guess there's always a first. I doubt it's a bad psu but if it is, just call OCZ and they'll give you a new one.

-1cem4n

My Powerstream 600 just died this morning! Plugged a spare PSU to my board and it worked. THe powerstream looks nice but isn't up to the task.

Lou.

Back