• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File nad Printer sharing on gentoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

File and Printer sharing on gentoo

So my main rig is down and i am using my laptop which runs gentoo. I have never set it up to run to share files and a printer on my home network, which is what it is connected to now. My home network consits of 3 computer connected to a router (laptop which i using not included). The printer in the house is connected to a computer through a parralel port so to use that printer the computer connected to it must be on as well. 2 of the computers are running winXP and the other is on win98. The computer with the printer is on winXP.

This laptop i am using is running gentoo linux and i was wondering how to set it up so this laptop can use the printer as well as share files and stuff with the other computers. The entire network is wired and i connected this laptop with a wire so no wireless stuff going on here. I have heard about SAMBA and CUPS but i dont know exactly what they are or how to use them.

Last edited:
I'm not a gentoo person, but I think you will need to emerge samba for sure, and maybe cups.

Hang on here and you will get more gentooish peeps to help.

You need samba, cups, and foomatic installed. Also, make sure you add the use flags foomaticdb, samba, cups to your make.conf.

Gentoo has a bunch of guides on this. Google "Gentoo printing" or "Gentoo samba"

Back