• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

critique my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdvanS13

ok, after disbanding my old system, well, still disbanding parts...hopefully the rest will be in the classifieds. i want a bf2 and gaming rig ready to go, i got obsessed with bfv, and going to have some boring weekends ahead of me this year (gf in last year of college) =)....please offer your feedback, perhaps the best place to buy these items. i usually go to newegg (prices below), but i'm open to anything, cause i want to save mulla!

Case: (not top priority, have a spare for now) Antec P-180 $135 @ newegg
MB: not sure? 955x or Nforce? $200 budget
PSU: FortronAX500-A $69 @ ewiz (are the reliable?)
Video: eVGA 7800GT(X) $ 395/469 @ newegg
RAM: PQI TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667 $ 182
Sound: what do you guys think? going to be using headphones, don't want to spend toooo much.
Monitor: have
CPU: 3.6 ES (have)
HD: have
DVD: have

thanks much!

Last edited:
This normally goes in general hardware I think but I doubt it matters too much. Everything looks good except you may want to get the powerstream 520w psu since you're running a pretty powerful system. Also if you're talking cheaper headphones I like my sennheiser HD-201. I got em from newegg and they're some of the best speakers you can buy for roughly $20.

for headphones, $20 gets you the awesome Plantronics Audio.90 headset. most comfortable headphones i've ever worn besides my shures. for the RAM, get Patriot DDR and the DFI nForce4 SLI motherboard. as for your processor, i'm not sure what a 3.6 ES is so i'll assume it's a pentium but I'd ditch that(or not) and get an x2 3800+ manchester. i'd get the 7800gt if you're on a budget and see if you can unlock it later but otherwise, it looks like you're all set.

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
for headphones, $20 gets you the awesome Plantronics Audio.90 headset. most comfortable headphones i've ever worn besides my shures. for the RAM, get Patriot DDR and the DFI nForce4 SLI motherboard. as for your processor, i'm not sure what a 3.6 ES is so i'll assume it's a pentium but I'd ditch that(or not) and get an x2 3800+ manchester. i'd get the 7800gt if you're on a budget and see if you can unlock it later but otherwise, it looks like you're all set.

-1cem4n

thanks, i work at intel so i'm kinda partial to free eng. samples hehe. otherwise yea.

as in soud, i also meant sound card. audigy or x-fi? the xtreme music is in budget, but does it have the same or better quality as an audigy? which audigy's will work good at 125 or below.

EDIT: can't really find any better prices, any suggestions on the above parts?

thanks

Last edited:
it has better sound quality than an audigy and it is optimized for headphones. if you really want to get a intel, get a dual core 3.2ghz EE(i'm guessing you can get it for close to free)

-1cem4n

i wish, but nope. work won't even sell us motherboards due to the shortage lol...yes, the shortage is real :)

the last free chip they gave out was the 3.6, so i'll have to wait another year for the next run. or, i can get a dual core for cheap, but i will wait a bit.

haven't seen any other places to get the items above, looks like newegg is getting more and more competitive.

Forton is a very good brand. What are you using as a CPU heatsink? I got the Sennheiser HD 202 headphones for about $20 a while ago. Sound very nice. I use the Logitech X230 speakers for computer for about $35. Both at Newegg. Am in same room as stereo. Polk Audio if you're curious. For a case, consider the Sonata II by Antec. Comes with a good, not great, PS. I am considering it for some updates I am spec'ing right now. Biggest concern is that the door may be flimsy.

i actually already have a sonata, but it only came with a 380w which wont fly with my 7800 lol. im using some old logitech z650's currently.

sonata IMO is a pretty bad case. it might cut it if you're running a pentium m but not in my books. only one fan? even if it is 120mm, 2x120mm is my minimum because airflow is critical in overclocking.

-1cem4n

yea, i was dissapointed with it...the pci slot didnt even match up with my board so i had to haxxors it hehe.

it will be a temp holding facility till i get the p180.

AdvanS13 said:
oh well, i won't be overclocking. i ran a similar system with a 380w antec minus the 7800 of course.

Let me be the first to punch you!

you have an ES and you wont be Overclocking it, PUNCH!

ok now that that is over with, I do agree with a better power supply, even with out the OC of it.

1cem4n said:

-1cem4n

You gotta be nuts telling someone to ditch a 3.6Ghz P4 ES for a x2 3800, a P4 with an unlocked multiplier is just what DDR2 Ram is asking for.

Back