• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to edit my MBR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

How? I want Windows XP to be on the top of the list instead of Kubuntu.

What bootloader are you using? If it's grub, take a look at /boot/grub/grub.conf or /boot/grub/manu.lst. Each OS will have a couple line entry there and you can change the order from there. I honestly haven't used lilo in 3 years, so I'm not sure how to configure it anymore.

Ok editing the menu.lst worked. Thanks

Last edited:
Captain Newbie said:
Are you referring to your NTLDR config files? (NTLDR has to be in charge when dual-booting XP+*nix, so I'm told, since NTLDR expects to be in charge.)

It should be one of the hidden files loose in [drive]:\.
I usually have grub on my MBR, and I dual boot XP and linux. The actual bootloader code needed to load windows is on the partition on which windows is installed. Grub basically points to that and lets it load windows (that's where chainloader +1 come is in menu.lst). If he was using the windows bootloader, he'd be looking at boot.ini, which can be edited directly or changed using msconfig.

Back