• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

>9550 256mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
What cheaper cards could I get to replace me 9550 256MB AGP 4/8X Card? I want seomthing that will still be better at gaming (BF2, C&C Serious), than what I currently have.

All these knew cards out I don't know what better than what I have right now and what a waste of money.

(NO OC'ing)

Thanks,

Shelnutt2

How much are you looking to spend? As of now I'm thinking the geforce 6600ngt.

I assume it must be AGP? If it has 64bit ram, a 9600pro/xt would probably be near twice as fast. A used 9800pro would be a good option, they are very cheap, or a new 6600gt/X700pro. Those cards would be anywhere from 2-6x faster, depending on circumstances and whether or not your current card is 64bit. With my X700pro 128mb, I can run BF2 at medium/high settings, 50fps+, at 1280x960.

Yuriman said:
I assume it must be AGP? If it has 64bit ram, a 9600pro/xt would probably be near twice as fast. A used 9800pro would be a good option, they are very cheap, or a new 6600gt/X700pro. Those cards would be anywhere from 2-6x faster, depending on circumstances and whether or not your current card is 64bit. With my X700pro 128mb, I can run BF2 at medium/high settings, 50fps+, at 1280x960.

Yes it mus be AGP unless they made some of the upper end older cards, as PCI then there but yeah not PCI-E. So a 9800 would be good?

By the way any card on the pci slot will suck because pci can't provide enough bandwidth, just so you know. Also are you willing to get refurb, I've bought three refurb vc and they all worked perfectly.

Avg said:
By the way any card on the pci slot will suck because pci can't provide enough bandwidth, just so you know. Also are you willing to get refurb, I've bought three refurb vc and they all worked perfectly.

Ok so definietly AGP and yes a refurb is definetly a possibility. Oh and I believe my card has 32bit ram.

Last edited:
The best I could find refurb or not is the 6600 vanilla, when new it's just a little over 100 and when refurbed it's just under $100. You can also get the 9800pro which is going for about the same price, but in my opinion it is not worth it, I mean the 6600 is about the same speed, has sm3.0, HDR and purevideo, there is nothing to lose.

I doubt your card has 32bit ram, the only 32bit card I've seen in the past 8 years was an MX-440se going for ~$20 on newegg. 64bit is about as low as they come.

i have a radeon 9550 overclocked on stock cooling and it runs bf2 smoothly on med settings half life 2 smoothly on high settings and its faster than my stock 9600xt i dont plan to upgrade until prices come down and then i well proberly go pcie

I'm a little worried about OC'in the video card because if it goes then I'm stuck with a piece of crap geforce 2 card until I can get a new one. So I'll look at thr 6600's is there a certain brand that is know ot preform better than the rest?

Edit:

had a change of heart trying to OC 9550.

1) how do I monitor temps?

2) When I raised my memory it let em raise my GPU but when I archived it it lowered my memory and gpu. Help please

/Edit

Last edited:
BluntStatic said:
i have a radeon 9550 overclocked on stock cooling and it runs bf2 smoothly on med settings half life 2 smoothly on high settings and its faster than my stock 9600xt i dont plan to upgrade until prices come down and then i well proberly go pcie

What is your OC on your 9550?

i use ati tool use the find max core and find max mem it works good i dont moniter temps as i dont need to a artifact would appear if it was to hot or there would be other problems

im running 465/245 no artifacts and stable for any amount of time

I tried your settings but the screen blacked out for a second then it said the VGU recovered itself, and wanted to send a error report. Was this because I didn't go to settings->misc->unlock option? It said somethin about th 9550 being lock from OC'in.

you need to unlock it and everyones card is differnt in overclocking abiltys my card is also only 128mb

I can't find teh option to do it. Do I just have to download the other drivers?

open ati tool click settings then go to misc and it well be in there labeled Remove Radeon 9000/9250/9550/9600 clock lock.

Back