• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big problem with x850xtpe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meathead

I was messing around with ati tool and I hit set clock at the default speeds of 540/590 and my screen froze and then it showed on my monitor it was rebooting but then flashed back to windows without ever rebooting. Now I get artifacts after 30 seconds of running the artifact tester and I don't know what to do. I tried rebooting. Its not overclocked at all and I never had the chance to overclock it yet. I get artifacts after one minute with ATI tool but 0 after 1 minute with ATI tray tools. I'm so confused on what to do.

Last edited:
I am not that experienced in this... All that I could tell you to do from reading is tryto lower your clocks and see what happens... and if that is really the prob... RMA the card.... GOood luck

Well if artifacts keep showing up in ATI tools but not ati tray tools, could that be a problem with ati tools?
Heres the log from ati tool
2005-09-26 22:28:35 ATITool v0.24 started.
2005-09-26 22:28:35 Detected GPU Chip: R480 (5D4D), 16 Pipelines, 256 MB

2005-09-26 22:28:35 Temperature monitoring: LM63 detected
2005-09-26 22:28:39 Scan for Artifacts started... Core: 540.00 Mhz Memory: 589.50 Mhz
2005-09-26 22:28:39 Scan for Artifacts running for: 0:00:00
2005-09-26 22:29:25 Artifacts detected after 00:46.38. 573 pixels don't match.
2005-09-26 22:29:29 Last message repeated 306 times.
2005-09-26 22:29:29 Scan for Artifacts stopped Total runtime: 50 seconds
2005-09-26 22:29:33 Application terminated.

* EDIT * great now ati tray tools found an artifact after 2 minutes. ALso tried underclocking it and I get the same if not more artifacts. This is just great money is tight as it is and now I will probably have to ship this card back.

Last edited:
Meathead said:
his is just great money is tight as it is and now I will probably have to ship this card back.
im not sure if they well take it back since you overclocked it :s hopefully someone here can help you

If you read my post, I didn't overclock it. I would not be dishonest. If I did overclock it I would not even consider sending it back.

Last night I shut down my computer and then proceeded to boot it back up and my monitor wouldn't come on. I took the graphics card out, let it sit overnight, and then put it back in and used the other monitor port. It seems to be able to boot with that now but I still get artifacts.

Core temp is 37C idle 63C load. Fan speed says 100%. I don't know if this card was bad before this either. I never ran the artifact tester before this incident so it's possible this card came bad. I noticed it was shipping inside a small box then packed inside a bigger box with peanuts but inside the smaller box it could slide around. Maybe it was damaged during shipping.

try playing some games. when i oc my x850pro the artifact tester always fails about every 5 seconds. but when i go into a game its fine.

When I'm in games its perfectly fine. The only problem is it randomly died on me 2 nights ago and I can't have that ;/. One of the ports died on it so I only have one working monitor port. I'll keep it for now and send it back when I get a chance. I don't want to settle for less than what I paid for and I paid for a perfectly good gfx card.

Back