• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-5v question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sumigo

Registered
Hello,

I have recently done some repairs to my PC and have installed a new PSU, ao Poly Tech 460 watt, seemed to be very high quality.

I just reinstalled my hardware moniter program and it showed my -5v at +3.55, how bad of a problem is this, what function does the -5v provide power for?

Should I take the PSU back and exchange it?

Thnk you for your time.

I think it has to do with modern pcs not utilizing the -12 or -5 rails.

Mine both show at -5 and -2.

Sumigo said:
Hello,

I have recently done some repairs to my PC and have installed a new PSU, ao Poly Tech 460 watt, seemed to be very high quality.

I just reinstalled my hardware moniter program and it showed my -5v at +3.55, how bad of a problem is this, what function does the -5v provide power for?

Should I take the PSU back and exchange it?

Thnk you for your time.

Actually, most newer power supplies do NO support -5v rails at all. -5V was used by ISA slots which are non-existant anymore.
I switched from an Antec True430 which did support -5v to a Seasonic 600W supply and my -5v sits at like 3v; if you read the specs, you will see that there is no -5v rail.

Not sure which PolyTech you have (there are only 450W supplies), but here is a PDF; as you can see, no -5v rail:

http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/PS2_450W.PDF
http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/PS2_450W_i.PDF

Last edited:
Also software monitor are terribly unreliable on voltage reading. Get a meter and check it yourself, chances are it's fine within 10% or better.

Thank you for the feedback, I contacted the manufacturer and they told me that -5v is not necessary for AMD's so I am not going to worry.

Thank you all for the help.

Also I was wrong it is a Soly Tech made by Apex. Nice PSU actually.

Back