• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seabee

Alright, read all the stickies about OCing A64s. Still cant quite grasp it tho. I want to OC my 3200+ Venice, dont have a clue on the stepping as I forgot to look before installation....:(

My RAM *isnt* going to go any higher than 200, cheap 3200 RAM. I would like to get my A64 to 2.4 or so, just a mild OC for now. What combination of multi, CPU clock, HTT and memory limiter will I have to use???

Rig components are #1 in my sig.

Set your AGP to 66 to lock the AGP/PCI bus
Set your HTT to 240
Set your divider to 166 (that's 5:6)
You may need a touch more vcore, but it's hard to know. Some cores can do it at stock voltage. I would suggest you don't just shoot up to 2.4 gigs but take it gradually to see how stable it is as you go.
Feel free to ask more questions.
Good luck.

Ok, that is what I thought it would be, just wasnt sure. I will do it in steps, just needed to be sure what direction to go in. I will bump up the HTT to 220 or lower to start off, see where I have to add more vcore.

On a side note, what is the recommended upper limit for vcore on these?

Alright, got it up to 2.4ghz. I had the memory at 166 divider, HT x1 and CPU at 240. Got there with 1.5 vcore and 2.7 vdimm. I ran a few benchmarks and was a bit dissappointed.

Before the OC, with my VC to 575/585, I was getting ~5900's in 3DMark05, with the CPU at 2.2ghz and 2.4ghz, I was STILL in the ~5900's with the VC at the same levels. My previous system(2600+), I saw a marked improvement when attaining those same OCs.

I didnt test the CPU for complete stability yet, but it did make it thru all 3Dmark and SisSoft Sandra benchmarks without a problem. So how is it possible that I dont get any higher in 05 with 2.2 or 2.4???

Sandra did show improvement, but why this didnt translate into 05 I have no clue.

Main reason for that is 3dmark test your VideoCard and second: If you want better results you should set HTT at 4X or 3X and make memory to work closer to 200MHz or higher if you can. Then make " CPU test " on 3dmark03 and you will see improvment .

Back