• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Annoying high frequency-type pitch whine coming from the back...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xpred

Registered
This problem started right after I got completed my first, and new build. Specs are as follows: A64 2800+, Seagate 200GB HD, Abit NF8 mobo, GF 6800LE AGP, 1GB PC3200 RAM, all that with a Raidmax Scorpio 868W case, and using the Antec SP2.0 SP450W PSU. Originally, I thought my problem was the HD. But after listening to my computer again, it is not, and it seems to be coming from the BACK of the computer (just don't know where--if it's top or bottom).

The problem is, I keep hearing these high frequency sounds in which it ONLY happens when it is triggered. They have a whiny tight pitch. They seem to mimic "my move" lasting for about only 1/2 to one full second. They are triggered when I usually:

-scrolling through different parts of a movie
-loading in games (this causes lots of these sounds at a CONSTANT rate)
-go backward/forward/up/down using IE (ONLY WITH THE MOUSE)

The strange thing is... it happens alot when I'm using IE. As you can see, this sound gets annoying very fast. I wish I could dampen it. Another thing to note is that when I press forward/backward or scroll up/down using my mouse, I hear the sound. It happens right after I do it almost making me think it's some sort of seeking beep/click, but not exactly a beep nor a click. However, when I use my KEYBOARD to forward/back/scroll up/down, it doesn't have the sound anymore. Strange, huh? At first I thought it was my mouse/speaker electrical interference, but I used different mouses and I unplugged my speakers, and it's definitely coming from INSIDE the computer case.

I have the latest BIOS and drivers for everything, so I know it's not a software issue, but rather hardware. I know it's not speakers/sound case related because all those have been unplugged and the sound still remains! It's not the mouse either because I've tested it, and pretty much any mouse will produce these sounds. (argh!)

After searching online, some say it's PSU related, and some say it's either the mobo, or the cpu, or a combo of all three perhaps. But since all these parts are NEW, I don't know what could be wrong. They perform great. Nothing is really wrong with the computer, just these sounds are too annoying, and I want to know why I'm the only having this! Argh...

The current situation is that I can't open my case yet. I put my computer up in a very tight place, in which I am unable to fully take out the case/unplug the cables to determine the EXACT location of where these sounds are coming. However, I will be able to do this in the next few weeks or so (I hope)...

Anyways, I come here to ask for some suggestions on what I should do or what the problem is? I must mention this sound is a mimic-type sound in which I have to do something to trigger it. It's not at a constant rate (only when I start to play games/load, it starts almost being constant meaning it does this on and off very fast), but usually the sound happens right after I do something that triggers it... kind of like a beep (but not really a physical beep). I really don't know what to do anymore. Thanks.

Last edited:
It's coming from the MOSFETs on either your motherboard or your power supply which can get to a resonation that can often times produce an audible tone. The only way to find out where it is would be to first try an alternate power supply.

I've had this problem with one or two older motherboards and a dying monitor, all of which I promptly threw away because they became too annoying to keep around or sell.

My first thought was PSU as well. Like Captain Slug pointed out, it could be anything with that sort of power regulation circuitry. I know some of the early apple G5s had a issue with the PSUs making a similar noise.

I'm almost positive its a PSU problem. My old Raidmax 420w used to make noises, as long as the numlock was on. If numlock was off, there was no sound, but when I scrolled or moved the mouse, it made a noise as well.

Here's an update. I swapped out the PSUs with another one and found the same problem. I believe it's my motherboard (possibly). Under someone else's recommendation, I disabled the onboard sound through the BIOS "OnChip Audio Controller" ... and the high-pitch sound went away during load/doing things. HOWEVER, the "mouse scroll up/scroll down" sound still appears. They are two different sounds. One is the annoying high-pitch sound that comes from the back, and is triggered when forwarding/backward through IE and programs that seem to trigger it when on load and such.

But now, I have no sound AT ALL because I disabled the onboard sound.

I guess it's just my Abit NF8 motherboard's soundchip then... and I have no choice but to buy an actual sound chip? *sigh* I find this weird, maybe it's only apparant with MY motherboard (brand and/or model)...

Back