• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, I'm crashing after 2x1G install!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZX12Rguy

Registered
I've had a rock-solid system with my Abit Nf-7 on NF2 chipset latest updates, D26 MantaRay Bios, ANTEC 480 P/S, Win.XP2 and 2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200 LLPT (BH-5 chips) setup. I also have an Audigy 2 sound card.
I ran the CPU at 200x11, it loaded me into games faster than 210 or 220 x 10 or 11.

About the only thing I do besides surf the net is play Battlefield 2 and some video editing.

Last night I finally went to 2 Gig sticks of OCZ Gold PC4000, rated at 8,4,4,3.
I purposely bought PC4000 thinking that I would be eliminating any potential memory bus bottlenecks as I overclocked my cpu. (it's an AMD 2600Mobile)

From previous playing around, the Chip seems to be good for at least 225 stable, but 235 if I don't game. CPU and Mem always ran 1 to 1.

I installed my new memory last night and crashed during regular gaming 3 times! I would blue-screen and have odd noises from my speakers. My only way out was a hard-reboot each time.
The memory is in the same two positions as my old Corsair, slot 2 and 3. I know that's odd, but, at one point I had tried the DDR Booster in Slot 1....

I doubt the memory is 'bad', so, i need idea's on where to start.
A friend of mine said that his Abit NF-7, NF2 was crashing his GAME APP when he tried to run 1G + 2x512. He's stable with only 1G and 1x512.

Should I adjust memory timing? Do I need a different Bios? Is the Abit NF-7 gonna play nice with my new memory???

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I've tried OCZ in my NF-7 also....... and couldn't get it to boot.

So I had to go w/Corsair. (2x512's)

I would say your mobo don't like the new memory off hand.

Run MemTest+1.86 & see how it pans out.

That way you will definatly know if it's the memory.
(by how many errors you get / or not)

Have you tried 1 stick alone to see how it runs? - any errors.

:cool:

Simply put 1GB sticks won't run well on NF2 boards. What you'll want to do is find a bios that lets you disable CPC. With CPC disabled clear your CMOS and then go back in and manually set your timings to 3-4-4-11 and the voltage to 2.7V. Now give memtest a few loops through. If you get errors let me know which test # they showed up in

Here is some info on NF2 boards you may want to read
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3032

Thanks to you both!

I need to look to see if I have MemTest any longer, but I did start a Prim95 test after reading Warrior's reply. I was blindly thinking it was a compatibility issue, but a test is certainly the right direction to go for now.

As it turns out, my first run of Prime95 and it's primality test FAILED. (Inputs didn't equal outputs) I tried that twice with the same results.

I tried the Torture Test (blend), and it failed within one minute due to a Fatal Error. (rounding)

I ran the Benchmark and it all went well from beginning to end.

I'm now running the ummm. Small FFT test, I think it's called. 8K and 10K and 12k have all passed, it's doing 14K now.

STEVEOCZ, I was hoping you'd see my thread. :) Thanks for chiming in. (I couldn't remember your name/ID ,but had read old posts from you in research)

I *thought* my D26 MantaRay XT bios was actually the CPC-Off version, but, now I'm not sure. I'll double check.
I think I loaded a CPC-ON BIOS at one time because it actually gave me better test numbers in SiSandra or something. I WILL ENSURE I'M USING A CPC-OFF version and then set things as you've suggested and retest.

Heya, Just letting you know I am running OCZ 2 gig kit stock settings (cas2-3-2-5, 2.6v, LINK ) @ 200mhz fsb without a problem on a two years old NF7-S 2.0. Was using the latest stock D27 bios, am now using D26 black mantaray at 1T timing (CPC ON). Gotten about 75 more 3dmark03 between those 2 bios. Ran prime95 for 37 straight hours on 203x11.5. I would go for more FSB but my 2600 barton is locked - it wont go past 2350ish mhz (at least I think the cpu is hitting the OC wall). And I hear this particular OCZ sticks arent very overclockable - prolly wont help ya but just saying NF7-S does run hella stable with this 2x1gig sticks.

I had 2x512MB pc2700 samsung double sided sticks @ 200 FSB with custom 2T timing bios rock stable. They werent stable with 1T unless I am running them at stock speed (333)

I did go through 2 sets of crappy brand (VT and Avant) pc3200 2x1GIG memory before I got the OCZ. The Avant brand wasn't stable @ 200 FSB with stock settings (3-4-4-8) - just hardlock the machine up. And the VT brand didn't even post. I think those sticks are OEM type. I didnt even try to use the 2T timing BIOS because I didnt want to keep them and they were from my work.

Dunno if this post will help but I got bored =) Good luck and hope you get your system up and running solid with 2 gig sticks soon.

Razzy, I'm glad you posted man. I needed to hear that there is at least some hope out there for 2x1G and my old-*** NF7 vanilla board. :)

Warrior
, thanks for the linky!

Steve, and everyone else, I think the loading of new BIOS has done the trick. That, or using 2.8v.
My system was defaulting to 2.6v, I tried a new bios of d27_EDc18_1T and 2.7v but it was still no go. (not sure if that is actually CPC off or not)

Then, I used this Bios: D27_TaiPan_0.2_EB_ED_Bpl_3.19CPCoff_16.12.04, and went to 2.8V for mem because it's on the spec page. http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_4000_1024mb_gold_edition

Oh yeah, I also went ahead and changed my timing to 3,3,3,11 for now. Would like to go 2.5 CAS if possible. Going to '11' and 2.7v under old BIOS did not help.

**Right now I dont' seem to have any errors coming up where they used to so I believe it's fixed. yea!

Thanks for the input guys, You all get Gold Stars. :) I was seriously worried there for a bit!

Back